SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

Very much depends where the car is stored and the temp you're starting it at

In the carpark beneath apartment complex, mine can be a bitch if it's gone down to 4 degrees overnight - talking 10-12 cranks. Haven't bothered to get the cold start tuned properly. Normal winter day after not having driven for 24 hours is about 2-3 cranks most.

I've left my car outside recently, covered in frost, started at 5am, water temp was something like ... low. Like "I should really consider the viscosity of this water going through engine" low. I.e, nearly frozen.

Started fine.

when e85 first hit the scene everyone had cold start issues.... then tuners worked out it's kinks

It's not really very hard to find out. What it needs is trial and error and most people aren't going to take their car back from the tuner and be happy to play with cold start settings. I was and I enjoy that so it was relatively easy to take the time to test but I can understand not wanting to pay $150 an hour over a course of a few days to get it bang on. Most people are happy as long as the thing actually starts. I am too, but I also had the tools handy to make it better, so I did that.

I agree with you re: 270rwkw, housemate has S15 with 265 AD08R's on it and I say "stop there it's fine". Nice, responsive, grip, excellent.

400kw peak power at 4500rpm and holding that peak till 7500 is great but unless I run drag tyres (and a wheelie bar) up HWY it won't translate to much forward momentum. It does have its benefits once you have grip mind you, i.e where 4500rpm is 4th gear.

Though it would be pretty lolsy getting up on 2 wheels on a traffic light drag. May have to go birds hunting.

If I go home right now and try to start my skyline, I know for a fact it won't start... It'll probably crank slowly, but there's no way it'll start before it runs out of juice... Tune needs some tweaking for sure now that it's winter and the fuel sits for many weeks at a time between starts.

Will be a case of jumpering it to another car, letting some charge come across and THEN going through the 30 seconds or so of going through short crank cycles trying to get some heat into the engine before it'll fire... And then once it starts, if I even touch the accellerator in the first few minutes of idle, it'll overfuel and cough/stall.

Wouldn't start at DECA, so I couldn't even get it off the trailer without a jump start :P

Sitting at 95k Qantas frequent flyer points, almost enough to go LA return or similar :) not bad for 6 months

ANZ FF amex black + business related expenses ftw

that's cute...

If I go home right now and try to start my skyline, I know for a fact it won't start... It'll probably crank slowly, but there's no way it'll start before it runs out of juice... Tune needs some tweaking for sure now that it's winter and the fuel sits for many weeks at a time between starts.

Will be a case of jumpering it to another car, letting some charge come across and THEN going through the 30 seconds or so of going through short crank cycles trying to get some heat into the engine before it'll fire... And then once it starts, if I even touch the accellerator in the first few minutes of idle, it'll overfuel and cough/stall.

Wouldn't start at DECA, so I couldn't even get it off the trailer without a jump start :P

does a quick spray of start ya bastard deal with that?

does a quick spray of start ya bastard deal with that?

Definately worth considering... Would be easier without the pod on it though :/ Hmmmmm I'll give it a crack, think I've got an old can hanging around somewhere.

from what I remember SYB is just ether and CO2 so should be fine
I wouldn't don't use wd40 or similar you will get a oily coating coating in the cooler as it condenses out.

actually never tried it on a turbo engine always just sprayed straight in intake/carby no idea how it would go with the long intake and AFM.

and a back fire could be much worse..

not sure about that idea now...

Abe from Havoc was talking me into E85. and if my engine runs or at least sounds healthier, then that is great. i wouldnt run it in a "throw as much boost and timing into as itll go" because ill have to back it off at 300. im considering doing a conservative 98 tune, see how it goes, find issues/weaknesses. then getting a separate E85 fuel map/tune made a la Birds.

tow truck driver last night tried to talk me out of E85 lol. complaining about how much fuel his subaru chews through and contaminating oil super quickly if not brought up to temp and just short drives or moving car in and out of driveway. plus i really hate the idea of having to bring multiple jerry cans to a track day.

plus i really hate the idea of having to bring multiple jerry cans to a track day.

you have a f**ken hatch back...how hard would it be?

shit for a track day with 180ish kw I need Jerry cans. once you have one who care how many more.

Don't know why people make a point about jerry cans at a track day, that's the easiest part of organising yourself for one

• Like 2

Abe from Havoc was talking me into E85. and if my engine runs or at least sounds healthier, then that is great. i wouldnt run it in a "throw as much boost and timing into as itll go" because ill have to back it off at 300. im considering doing a conservative 98 tune, see how it goes, find issues/weaknesses. then getting a separate E85 fuel map/tune made a la Birds.

tow truck driver last night tried to talk me out of E85 lol. complaining about how much fuel his subaru chews through and contaminating oil super quickly if not brought up to temp and just short drives or moving car in and out of driveway. plus i really hate the idea of having to bring multiple jerry cans to a track day.

Havoc is a pipe fabricator... not a tuner...