SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

Dell are crap, HP are worse.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/usb-to-parallel-bi-directional-cable/p/XC4847

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Cables/Printer/54341-UP236A?gclid=CjwKEAiA79zDBRCgyf2FgeiY-CESJABzr0BMeJWUwmuZKu2cSe_vwVFJKQBTnFtRinYuGm4z2ReWMRoChovw_wcB

had a very good run with Lenovo thinkpad.

I'm due for a new laptop in 6 months and first time ever don't want to give up the old one.

yeah ive bought a USB to DB25 before, but you're right, I'll try a dedicated parallel one and see how it goes. I did a fair bit of reading up about simulating LPT port in hardware and its a proper broad minded person.

If I chose to tell boss to get stuffed and I buy laptop myself, will be through scorptec (range is very varied and dated laptops still full price) or a metabox (complete customisation + win7).

I've got an 88E buy order at 4.1c. Hoping it gets there. Also got a TV2 buy order at 0.6c, coz fuggit. though I'd like some spending money for Japan next month, dont want to have too much cash tied up in stuff.

I actually don't mind dells, provided you get the right models like the XPS13 decently specced etc. HPs are meh IMO. 

Currently use an Asus for work, as long as it's thin, light AF, and has enough decent ports I'm happy.
Only thing I don't like about my current laptop is no back lit keyboard for working in dark areas, oh and the charger cable could be a little bit longer. 

Some companies really cheap out on their laptop or computer situation then it just bites them in the ass later when they have problems or they're slow as

Edited by UNR33L

Absolutely love my Dell XPS15 (9550)
15" Screen with no bezel so its about the same size as a normal 14" laptop. Not too heavy unlike most with these specs. Current i7, 512GB SSD, 16GB Ram...

Was a bit flakey at the start with a screen which would randomly flicker black for a millisecond every minute or so, couldn't tell if I was going crazy or just blinking... but a firmware update fixed it up after a month or so

I actually need a hardy and practical laptop. Not some $2000 Suzy-stretch, flimsy, touch-screen POS.

So all those 2-in-1 ultrabooks or whatever, are out.

I'm tempted to just buy a machine myself, but I don't think boss would be too happy (I don't know why)

2 hours ago, Leroy Peterson said:

I actually need a hardy and practical laptop. Not some $2000 Suzy-stretch, flimsy, touch-screen POS.

So all those 2-in-1 ultrabooks or whatever, are out.

I'm tempted to just buy a machine myself, but I don't think boss would be too happy (I don't know why)

Lol well ill let you know if the laptop disintegrates in my hands 

17 minutes ago, Leroy Peterson said:

I just cant see them lasting too long on site or getting moved constantly for 3+ years.

Apparently the thinkpad T series are durable?

Perhaps the T460s. That was another one of my options.

I got the x360 due to it being light, portable and touchscreen for client meetings. so probably different purposes to you.

They're all as flimsy as each other (basically) if you want to be rough on it you really only have a couple of options like the toughbook etc. 

Yes they look like shit & are expensive but if you plan on dropping it like the diesel mechanics I used to work with at CAT they're good 

220179-Panasonic-ToughBook-CF-31.jpg

We used to have normal Dell Latitudes for the diesel mechanics, would get them back every other day with broken screens or just generally f**ked, wasn't until a new policy where they'd have to pay repairs out of their own pocket that actually fixed it :) go figure. 

Same thing with phones.

Edited by UNR33L

Steer clear of Lenovo laptops, they are awful. Very flimsy plastic, keyboard and trackpad are unusable to get work done, screen quality is very blurry etc etc.

If you're in the $1k - $2k range I'd recommend something by Asus, above $2k I'd recommend the Microsoft Surface. That's for Windows laptops anyway, which still don't come close to a Macbook Pro in terms of overall build quality, reliability, screen quality and the best trackpad known to man.

On a side note, does anyone know if it's possible to change the spark plugs on an R34 GT-T without removing the breather pipe? I got to that stage but there are like 100 little pipes connecting to it making it quite annoying to remove. The pipes also look flimsy, so don't want to break anything.

On a side note, does anyone know if it's possible to change the spark plugs on an R34 GT-T without removing the breather pipe? I got to that stage but there are like 100 little pipes connecting to it making it quite annoying to remove. The pipes also look flimsy, so don't want to break anything.

You can but its a pain, i just remove and unplug it all