SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

Are Golf Rs fun to drive? Do they shine as an all rounder or work better around corners / straight line? Challenging or suffer from point and shoot evo syndrome?

Are Golf Rs fun to drive? Do they shine as an all rounder or work better around corners / straight line? Challenging or suffer from point and shoot evo syndrome?

They're fun to drive, it's more of all rounder rather than "insert type of race car for road" and makes for a really good daily driver seeing it's cheaper to insure than say STI/Evo ($500-1000 p.a.).

When I said all rounder, I've done bumper traffic driving, carting parts around, going on dates, interstate trips and hell, I've used it for Uber for 6 months.

Although they're not as sharp in corners as STI/Evo/Megane RS, but it's easily fixed with a pair of swaybars.

They respond well to flash tune, which reminds me I need to find out if mine is tuned or not - not as simple as plugging on laptop to find out if it has been messed with, apparently you need to take it for a drive with it plugged to the laptop and take logs.

They kind of respond stupidly well.

Stupidly well as in... an intake, and an intercooler/dump pipe = 11.7s quarter miles with a flash tune, and stock everything else.
This is a BIG improvement on stock, and you get all the other benefits of a 'nicer' 2017 car.

If you look at a slightly used golf R vs say, a modified R33 GTR the Golf is actually better bang for buck performance wise, and luxury wise it belts it out of the park with extreme fury, and they're only going to get cheaper..

• Like 1

I drove a manual mk6 R a few times (stock, first of the 4cyl Rs) and it had all the pet peeves of modern golf's, just without the annoying DSG shit.

Had an mk7 TSI hire car for a few days and all the "features" annoyed the absolute shit on me.

They both had a bit of go and would be decent cars with mods, but $70k for an R that needs mods off the showroom floor. Not my cup of tea, but I see the appeal. Well-rounded. But f**k VW warranty.

I guess what I wanna know most, without test driving one, is if they suffer from that soulless feeling I always refer to with new cars that seem to be either too comfortable, teched out, or simply removed from the driving experience. Megane 265 and 86 are the closest I've felt to what I would call sporty in a modern offering. My experiences are limited...

Just now, Birds said:

I guess what I wanna know most, without test driving one, is if they suffer from that soulless feeling I always refer to with new cars that seem to be either too comfortable, teched out, or simply removed from the driving experience. Megane 265 and 86 are the closest I've felt to what I would call sporty in a modern offering. My experiences are limited...

I'd put my bet on it being souless.

Disclaimer i have only been a passenger in a Golf R but not driven.

17 minutes ago, Birds said:

This is simply a side effect of newer cars I believe.

To answer it, yeah it's more "soulless" than a R33 GTR or R33 GTST. The Megane RS275 is good...but it's still less raw than a R33 or a S15.

What you don't know/see is that the R33 GTST/GTR feel like "Soulless Computerised Junk" when compared to an early turbo MX5, and THAT feels soulless and boring and 'too easy' when compared to my friend's supercharged 1979 E320I Coupe.

Isn't the nbn supposed to be lightning fast internet? My brother speed tested yesterday and got the same speeds I get with adsl living literally 30 seconds away from each other..

Just got my free nbn kit in the mail from Telstra, but if there's no increase in speed I won't waste my time hooking it up until I have to..

19 minutes ago, dezz said:

Isn't the nbn supposed to be lightning fast internet? My brother speed tested yesterday and got the same speeds I get with adsl living literally 30 seconds away from each other..

Just got my free nbn kit in the mail from Telstra, but if there's no increase in speed I won't waste my time hooking it up until I have to..

yeh i got mine yesterday as well.. you are meant to either get 25/5 50/20 100/40 (download / upload) in megabits persecond. 

at the moment im on a reliable 36/1 and if the NBN is as shitty as people are telling me I just won't change.. 

if it aint broke don't fix it mentality 

Edited by UNR33L

1 hour ago, Kinkstaah said:

This is simply a side effect of newer cars I believe.

To answer it, yeah it's more "soulless" than a R33 GTR or R33 GTST. The Megane RS275 is good...but it's still less raw than a R33 or a S15.

What you don't know/see is that the R33 GTST/GTR feel like "Soulless Computerised Junk" when compared to an early turbo MX5, and THAT feels soulless and boring and 'too easy' when compared to my friend's supercharged 1979 E320I Coupe.

I have thought about this and I'm sure it's true for fans of 80s and 70s vehicles who won't enjoy what the 90s cars had to offer over and above their older siblings - fuel injection, power steering etc. I think you could argue, however, that beyond the 90s, driver aids, comfort, safety and DSGs etc. started really messing with the classic driving formula. It would be interesting to know where someone older, whose favourite cars belong in the 70s and 80s, feels that the line was crossed. For me it was early 2000s with the last of the grey imports, both in styling and driving setup.

Yes.

But what doesn't? Hell, I can imagine even a DC5R feeling soulless.

Even the change to N15 made me miss my N13. It just needed more go and better handling.

• Like 1

yeh i got mine yesterday as well.. you are meant to either get 25/5 50/20 100/40 (download / upload) in megabits persecond. 
at the moment im on a reliable 36/1 and if the NBN is as shitty as people are telling me I just won't change.. 
if it aint broke don't fix it mentality 

Read the letter with mine, says hooking up the modem and connecting is your acceptance of a move to nbn, which they then detect and move you over, but you stay on your existing connection albeit through the new nbn modem, until they move you over. You get an sms when that happens. So I'd say my brother is still on adsl hence the same speed as me. I usually get 15Mbps, 10-13 at higher load times.. So if nbn is anything over 15 I'll be happy, it's not like you get a choice in the end.. You can keep your existing connection but only until they turn it off for good..

That's true most modern cars do feel soulless.

And +1 to Megane having a soul for a modern car. Gotta hand it to these Frenchies.

A not so nice cop will let the EPA deal with it alone / all you have to do is clear it at a workshop
A real prick will give you a NOU based on the EPA violation which means getting a RWC too
Pettett will give you the $700 fine to go with the NOU

I had ext gate (plumbed back into the exhaust) and emissions testing.

I rolled through a rwc just fine with my 3L and high mount gt35. But the engineering sets you back about 4-5k by the time it's all done properly

31 minutes ago, TiTAN said:

I had ext gate (plumbed back into the exhaust) and emissions testing.

I rolled through a rwc just fine with my 3L and high mount gt35. But the engineering sets you back about 4-5k by the time it's all done properly

You're in ACT, different laws over there.