SAU Community

Interior Colour

Adz2332

Hey all,

Im about to start stripping down my track car for paint.

The exterior colour has been chosen, but i need to find an interior colour.

question is do i go for a matt finish, satin or gloss?

How bad does reflection and glare become with full gloss? As im not a fan of matt and what a excellent finish etc

Satin.

Gloss is not going to look new for terribly long with scuff marks. And it's a big challenge to keep contaminants from getting in to the paint as it's laid down. Nice interior shine belongs on something for pretty pictures not a track tool.

Less reflection can't be a bad thing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just because it's a track hack doesn't mean it needs to be ugly. Personally I never spend a great amount of time on aesthetics, but I can appreciate a well turned out car (and it helps a lot if you're chasing sponsorship / media coverage etc. - as I said, that's not my bag, baby).

White or very light grey is a good choice, and gloss everywhere apart from parts of the cage which may cause reflections. You can always stick vinyl (CF / matte black etc.) over those sections later if you find reflections annoying. The lighter colours are especially handy for finding dropped screws / washers / electrical connectors when you're working under the dash and inevitably drop stuff.

If you can, try to get a good quality paint (some people use POR, which seems to hold up well) as the scuff marks will soon wear through the paint and make it look shabby.

Coming from a gravel background, I'm used to the interior getting mud, sand and grass in there, so a regular vacuum is essential. The gloss paint makes cleaning much easier, and keeps it looking respectable.

Also, it's worth putting something grippy (chequer plate, grip tape etc) around where your feet rest on the floor. It provides good wear, and the added grip is handy to stop your feet sliding around (specially climbing in and out of a caged car in wet / muddy conditions)