SAU Community

Squealing Sound When Starting Car.

Wagzy

So I took my R34 n/a to the track for a day, the next day when I started it there was a loud squealing sound coming from the fan belt, I think it was the fan belt.

It only happens on a cold start, sometimes it'll start up straight away, other times i"ll have to turn to car on once or twice for it to go away. On idle and when driving I can hear a slight noise coming from the engine which was never there before.

The belt it pretty tight so I don't think it's a loose belt. I'll be taking it to the mechanic as soon as I can but if it's a simple fix I'd rather save my time.

Anyone have any ideas?

The belt may be tight, but it may have been slipping whilst being thrashed at the track, which can result in the pulleys getting glazed. Makes them squealy under various circumstances (like cold starts, heavy loads from PA, alternator, whatever). Sometimes you need to rub the inside of the pulley sheaves with some sandpaper to clean them up. Sometimes all you need is a squirt of belt dressing.

If you want to test if it's the fanbelt, get someone ready with a squirt bottle ready to shoot the belt/pulley with water at the instant to start it up. If the squealing dies then it's the fanbelt. Otherwise it could be as described by Mike.

The belt may be tight, but it may have been slipping whilst being thrashed at the track, which can result in the pulleys getting glazed. Makes them squealy under various circumstances (like cold starts, heavy loads from PA, alternator, whatever). Sometimes you need to rub the inside of the pulley sheaves with some sandpaper to clean them up. Sometimes all you need is a squirt of belt dressing.

If you want to test if it's the fanbelt, get someone ready with a squirt bottle ready to shoot the belt/pulley with water at the instant to start it up. If the squealing dies then it's the fanbelt. Otherwise it could be as described by Mike.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give them a go and see what happens and report back :)

Is the noise high pitched? I used to get a noise on starting, it went away after I replaced the coil packs on my N/A R34.

Yeah it is pretty high pitched but when listening it does sound like it's coming from the belt. It hasn't happened in the past 24 hours and I've drove it a fair bit so I'm not sure. I'll wait and see if it happens again.