SAU Community

Worlds Biggest Low Mount.... With Pics

Griffin

Can someone add up the cost of the normal 6 boost manifold, external gate, precision / garrett etc path for comparison sake $$$ wise? Just curious to see what people spend.

Turbo is ~$2k, unless going with a better value option like Hypergear, in which case your ~$1.5k/

Manifold is ~$1.2k.

Gate is ~$500, with some +/- available.

Dribs and drabs to fit it all up might come to another $500-$1000 depending on what comes with the other bits you buy.

All new equipment, all designed for petrol, not diesel. Value is in the buy of the beholder.

Diesel turbos actually don't often like to be subjected to the higher exhaust temperatures of a petrol engine. Turbine material choice is something that turbo manufacturers have a lot more freedom on when doing diesels.

The relationship between rear housing (+ turbine) and front housing (+compressor) sizing is often quite wrong when taken straight from a diesel and put onto a petrol engine.

Sometimes, depending on application. The turbo I just took off was using a turbine housing from an underground mining vehicle with a water jacket as the temp must be kept under 100c whilst underground. I cut the whole jacket off the housing. I used it on a gq patrol petrol for 12 months then on the gtr for 18 months on 21psi. I have a dyno graph of that somewhere.

I think people can be narrow minded at times re what can and can't be done, or are too scared to give it a go.

I think the general consensus due to using diesel turbos in the early days is that they have a limited life at higher temps in petrol engines. That's all we had in the 90s. Just interesting to see how the turbine will cope even though the bearings are water cooled.

However obviously yours is not a run of the mill diesel turbo so would be awesome to see your results.

Looking forward to it. :)

Diesel turbos usually has a large exhaust end with a relatively small compressor. Fitted to a petrol engine, they are usually laggier for the power in comparison to a specifically built turbo for that engine.

Well i did a hx35 from a diesel engine on a rb26 with all ebay crap amd runs strong. Not that i think this idea is a good one. The house on this turbo is very big and i can see it being very laggy. Looks like a container handler turbo to me. We have these to work at our local port.

Buys a $50,000 car. Skimps on arguably the most important part of it. Wut?

Haha I've sunk probably $100k into the car but. I bet my whole hot side cost less than your sunglasses.

Edited by Griffin
  • Like 1

Im very impressed with it so far, driveability is great, looks are deceiving. Its near impossible to tell what it is exactly from the outside without taking it apart to measure everything up.

The quality of these turbos are amazing, up there with kkk. so durability is not an issue. Ive seen plenty of garrets fail early or be supplied with manufacturing flaws from reputable shops.