SAU Community

Brake Upgrade Front Only Bias Issues?

Just wondering if there are any bias issues with upgrading only the front calipers from 32 sumitomos to 33/34 brembos?

You may want to consider a different master cylinder to match the piston areas so you don't end up with a long pedal.

if it really bothers you, just upgrade the rears too :)

OR... run a tiny bit wider rear tyres as theoretically the rears would lock easier

This is my concern, that the ABS will be fighting the rears and i will lose overall performance - i have the fronts on at the moment, just weighing up whether or not to buy rears before i head to the track next

You may want to consider a different master cylinder to match the piston areas so you don't end up with a long pedal.

Pedal feels ok at the moment, may be a different story if i look at larger rears as well

This is my concern, that the ABS will be fighting the rears and i will lose overall performance - i have the fronts on at the moment, just weighing up whether or not to buy rears before i head to the track next

Pedal feels ok at the moment, may be a different story if i look at larger rears as well

The ABS in the R32 is rubbish anyway - it is slow and generally pretty ineffective. Just be thankful its not all of that and leaking as well. I have found the Brembo setup with the Vspec master cylinder to be a little rear biased in any case so if you are happy with the pedal travel it is probably not far from being ok.

Did you fit a master cylinder stopper?

I've upgrade the fronts on my 32 GTS4 to GT-R fronts, without any noticeable effect on brake bias.

Given that the majority of the braking is done at the front, doing a bit more at the front shouldn't be a problem.

Its part of the reason why AP 6 pots are such a great upgrade for R32s with bigger rotors. Get more pad area, get more rotor so it all dissipates heat miles better than std but uses small pistons to reduce some of the braking torque you are gaining by going to a bigger rotor and better pads. So two steps forward and one step back means you still end up with nice front to rear balance on an R32 with std booster/masters.

If you go to a caliper with bigger pistons, and bigger rotor and higher u pad well you are doing 3 things that are all going to increase your front braking torque and in turn front bias meaning you are going to be locking brakes like a champion. ABS masks a lot...those of us without ABS tend to be a little more "canary in a tunnel" and sensitive to the differences between various setups

• Like 1