SAU Community

pilot bearing problems NEED HELP FAST!

The easiest and safest way to remove the old spiggot bearing is to find a bolt that fits nice and snug in to the spiggot bearing, leaving minimal clearance around the edges.

Then pack the sucker full of grease grab a hammer and the bolt slide the bolt back in to the spiggot bearing and start tapping the bolt it with the hammer.

It will come out extremely easy providing you have a nice snug fit.

You will know the bolt doesn't fit tight enough as a lot of grease will squeeze past the bolt and the spiggot bearing won't come out.

This method is much safer and easier than using a bearing puller.

I didn't think Auto's had a spiggot bearing? The RB30 i've recently built up came from an Auto and didn't have one. All of the auto to manual conversions I've done (HQ, TE Cortina, VL Commodore, Galant) have all been without the spiggot bearing.

A few friends and I have done a few skyline manual conversions now and that stupid bushing is the only thing that slows the process down! During the last conversion we did we just broke down and purchased a blind bushing puller, it was a little costly but it also took all of 10 seconds to get the bushing out. If you think you'll ever do another conversion I highly recommend buying the correct tool, it can save many headaches.

-Matt

yes mabru is correct...

i figured it out. On the automatic, there is a bushing inside of the crank end (dont know what its called) for the automatic tranny. You have to pull this out before installing pilot bearing.

I guess this is something a person would only know when doing from a auto->manual swap. My friend told me who did an 5speed swap on his s14! woot! hopefully ill get this all installed by tommarrow.

Do what I do, grease bolt and hammer.

A mate who is a mechanic does it this way all the time.

As do many other mechanics.

You will be suprised how easy it comes out.

Think about it. You compressing the grease with the bolt which in turn gets behind the bush and pushes out the bearing.

had exactly the same problem today doing my manual conversion.

tried using the grease method. and that failed.

so best option was to tac weld a bold onto it and but a socket behind it to to brace the bolt. when you tighten the bolt up the little bugger comes out.

it was a prick of a thing. wasted half the day trying to get it out.

had exactly the same problem today doing my manual conversion.

tried using the grease method.  and that failed.  

so best option was to tac weld a bold onto it and but a socket behind it to to brace the bolt. when you tighten the bolt up the little bugger comes out.

it was a prick of a thing. wasted half the day trying to get it out.

Sounds like one of my tricks....and NO Joel, we dont need pics to show any off:D