SAU Community

Annoying Ticking Sound From Under Car

BstewyR33

Hey all - needing your help in identifying a ticking sound coming from under the car.

No rocks/screws/sticks are caught in any part of the car. The ticking starts at around 70klms, with the noise being more noticeable driving on the highway next to the side rail of if a car/ truck goes past.

I thought it could have been the brake pads - so I changed them (had them sitting in the garage so was a good excuse to change them over to cancel out that)

I've zip tied the front under body plastic guard up in a few places thinking that was flapping about, it's definaetly a speed thing I believe because the noise isn't there when revving the car past a certain rpm.

I thought it was possibly the electrical conduit that runs alongside the chassis rail under the drives side but I've zip tied the cables up to try and stop them from flapping about.

For the life of me I can't figure out what or where the hell it is coming from, any suggestions appreciated.

To my knowledge it's not wheel bearing related as its not a humming/whiring noise. A definite tick tick tick sound.

Cheers for any input!

Did you put a cable tie on your tail shaft? :P

I thought that's just what the cool kids did! - however I was reading somewhere that they had the hand brake cable hitting the drive shaft., not 100% certain of if that's possible

Perhaps check exhaust system from front pipe to tail pipe (studs and gaskets)

Cheers mate will look into that possibility

I have a small rattle/ticking noise also. Mine sounds like a loose heat shield kinda deal but only happens when I'm going 70-90kmh and VERY lightly touching the gas pedal.

Almost like it's in the gear box. Sound comes from center of the car

Edited by B-Turbo

I would def check all the underbody plastics etc as I had a similar issue with part of my front chin flapping about when driving over 60kph. It may look in place now but becomes displaced when driving so give everything a little nudge to check [emoji4]

• 3 weeks later...

So after tying up a bit more underbody guards and various other items while still creating the ticking sound - browsing a few other car forums and came across one suggesting the wheels weights being loose

So I found the passenger front wheel inside wheels weight was slightly loose (clip on type - not the stick on) - potentially needing over 60/70 kms to vibrate enough to cause the ticking sound..

Ripped that one off and took it for a drive down the highway and no noise. The noise even had my mechanic stumped.

So after weeks of frustration it turned out to be a simple f**king wheel weight....

• Like 2