SAU Community

370gt Sedan Brake Pads

Which is why you use the manuals as a guideline and then physically check the vehicle yourself for any differences.

I've used the 2010 Coupe FSM for brakes, pulling apart the interior to upgrade the stereo, wiring diagrams, disconnecting harnesses between doors and main vehicle body. The only things I found different was the orientation of some of the harnesses because of the whole LHD/RHD thing, wire colours and a non-functioning pin 29 on the BCM which my alarm would've used for locking/unlocking the doors instead of the relay board I had to manufacture. Mechanically, with the exception of obvious LHD/RHD components (as in the steering mechanism), I wouldn't expect any other differences and would have 90% confidence in the manual, only being 100% confident once I've physically confirmed the specs before going shopping.

Brakes is one of those things where it definitely would not make sense to maintain a number of different varieties between regions, unless the Japanese wanted to be greedy and give themselves a completely unique system. Doing so would hurt their profits as it's yet another component they need to have someone do the tooling and manufacturing for. The more commonality they can have, the better it is for the manufacturer.

Plus, you also need to take into consideration design changes alone cost time and in turn, money. They're not going to have a design team slaving away on AutoCAD to create several variants of the one vehicle when just a few will do. Cost vs benefit and all that.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is, by all means, I encourage you to be wary but if you measure twice and cut once, you'll find just how much of a good friend that USDM FSM is. It hasn't failed me yet and I even did it for my old J30 Maxima when I was buying performance bits from the US for it, despite it being an Aussie model.

Okay so the rotors GSL sent me are 320mm (as ordered).

I started to get the jack out to take a wheel off and realised this would be a bad idea for my back injury.. so I'm gonna have to get a friend to give me hand later.

However, I did measure the thickness of the rotors and they seem to be around 31-32mm which would indicate they're the 330mm rotors... which seems odd for a 2009 sedan... I thought this was only a 2009 coupe option and sedans all had the 320's?

All the specs I've seen say the 320mm rotors are 28mm thick (as are the new ones) but my current rotors are definitely not 28mm.

As you can see, I don't have the Akebonos (attached)

I'm so confused right now.

post-525-0-19074900-1460970254_thumb.jpgpost-525-0-38025200-1460970262_thumb.jpg

Edited by GFXman

Did find this:

http://jp-carparts.com/nissan/part_detail.php?maker=nissan&type=196&cartype=13&fig=400∂=40206JK600&page=1&img=400A%20001

Which lead to this (330x32mm):

http://www.fitinpart.sg/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=290641

And also this one:

http://jp-carparts.com/nissan/part_detail.php?maker=nissan&type=196&cartype=13&fig=400∂=40206EG000&page=1&img=400A%20001

which lead to this (320x28mm):

http://www.fitinpart.sg/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=213953

So going by the part numbers it *appears* the 320mm comes on the Type-P (2008-2010) and the 330mm on the Type-S/SP (2008-2010) ?

This would align with my model car at least...

Does Nick have Type-P ?

Edited by GFXman

OK, let's take the guesswork out of this. Don't give out your chassis number in public but go to this site: http://nissan.epc-data.com/

Where it says "Enter full frame number", punch in your vehicle's complete chassis number/VIN. For example, KV36-xxxxxx

Then click on "Chassis and Transmission", followed by "Front axle (chassis)" and later "Rear axle (chassis)". Click on the rotor part and it will reveal the part number. If those part numbers equate to the 320mm discs, then the previous owner of your vehicle did a basic performance upgrade. If those part numbers do indeed equate to 330mm discs front and rear (of varying thickness though, I believe), then we know the JDM spec is definitely different to the USDM spec. Maybe excess stock of the old stuff before rolling on to the newer stuff in the later model vehicles?

Edit: What I'm curious about though is the specific manufacture details of your vehicle, which this site will reveal. That will confirm what type your sedan is, as in if it's a P, S, SP, etc as well as the manufacturing date.

For example, my CKV36 shows up with:

Frame / Series CKV36 / CV36 body C (coupe ) engine VQ37VHR (VQ37VHR type engine ) drive 2WD/4WAS (2 wheel drive with HICAS(4WAS) ) Production month 12.2008 grade 370GTSP (370GT TYPE SP) transmission 7AT (7-speed automatic transmission ) Interior color G Body color QAA Spec code COLD2, GLSSW, NAVI9

Tell us what you find with yours, as you've got me curious now. :)

Again, don't reveal your VIN to us, don't even copy the URL, which will have the VIN in there.

Edited by The Max

Interestingly that site (nissan-epc-data) doesn't include the Skyline Crossover Japanese variant... I can find the major chassis code in the EU section (j50) under infiniti EX35/37, but can't find the right spec.

Just interesting in that it's definitely not complete.

Cheers - N

Shit's getting weirder by the day.

GFXman, you're typing KV36-xxxxxxxx, as per the Nissan build plate, not the VIN from the Australian compliance sticker, right? They add a whole bunch of stuff in front which isn't a Nissan thing.

Well, I give up with all this weirdness. Looks like the only way to be 100% sure will be to go old school and whip out the calipers dude. Measure twice, cut once.

Good luck!

Etc-data can only decode vins upto Dec2008 and has not been updated past that so any vehicles Jan 2009 onwards won't show up...

How shite. I wonder if it was a lack of interest in the project or they later morphed it into another site and word never got out? Either way, sucks balls. Well spotted.

I'm guessing the Nissan Fast version (which is also available to download with similar limitations) that this site uses for decoding vin numbers was never updated, it is after all a free website or probably funded by amayama as you can order parts from them using the website.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nick or Joolz, any update on this.

I did try to measure the rotors and it seems to be 330mm/32mm on a 09, 370GT type SP sedan. How ever i only have to replace break pads at the moment and going by what Joolz said, parts mentioned here from GSL wont fit in mine?

Hi All,

Sorry for being missing in action, been overseas...

I have returned home to this flurry of activity and been out to the garage to check...

Yes looks like my car has thick 32mm discs...

Turn the steering to full lock.... Grope around the back of the caliper...

Flipping heck.... :ohmy::angry2:

Someone has taken the second piston that was supposed to be in the caliper... Looks like the JDM Skyline 370GT S and SP have the same single piston front brakes as the 350 GT sedans...

GSL confirm that they have the correct pads off the shelf, but....

Not the correct discs...

They are working with DBA on the specs and hope to have an ETA soon...

Nick

Yeh I ended up returning the items I got based on Nick's specs.

GSL sent some new pads, REMSA this time, which will supposedly fit but I never got round to installing them as my car sold this week. They told me they "had them on the shelf" but was a load of BS; ended up taking 4 weeks to get them.

Anyway, I've given the new pads to the new owner and hopefully he'll be able to confirm with me if they fit.