SAU Community

Removing Airbags / Measuring Resistance

Duncan

I am looking at removing an airbag but don't want to disable the whole system, so I need to know what resistance to add to trick the airbag computer.

The workshop manual and most of the internet say that if I use a multimeter to measure the airbag's resistance it will blow up in my face from the multimeter voltage. I do note my multimeter has a 9V battery so maybe it is close enough to 12v to do it....

This guy did it anyway, but I'm not convinced they removed the shorting bar because it reads 0 across the board.

This guy removes the shorting bar, measures it, and doesn't die.

Has anyone done this safely?

After watching myth busters I have a great deal of respect of air bags and simply do not mess with them - I am shit scared of these things.

Tread with caution mate because we do not want to have to visit you in hospital.

hmm, surprised no-one has done it, I would have thought the R35 guys would have had the issue. Mick thanks for the S15 info but I started with 2.7 ohms (S15 and 350z sized) but it didn't do the trick for the cima passenger bag which is what I need in this case.

In the absence of better information I'm doing it the slow and safe way and using a variable resistor to find what the car is happy with.

I seem to remember the NM35 guys using a 5ohm resistor on the seat airbags, and that is also what the r35 guys were using.

Not sure it will help, but it might be a ballpark to start in.