SAU Community

Oil Cooler Orientation - Trans, Engine, Steering Etc

Trex

I can't see it mattering what orientation you mount them. Forwards, backwards, upside down, inside out. Face it....99% of them are just a pipe. Bent back and forth with fins on the outside, but just a pipe. Push oil in one end and it will come out the other, along with any bubbles that were in there or are contained in the incoming flow. There is no reason to worry about bleeding, filling, or any other bullshit. There's no reason to consider whether heat rises or falls or twists itself in knots.

Yes that's true for the tube type ones but the better quality such as Setrab or Mocal are built like a radiator and should be mounted with the inlet and outlet facing up or on its side with inlet at the bottom and outlet at the top. If this type is mounted upside down air can be trapped at the top reducing efficiency.

• Like 1

Would it also depend on what part of the system you are adding a cooler to? How strong the pump is pushing will determine whether the cooler is filled quick enough, or only a few rows filled say if you had the in and out upside down.

I've tried to find info on the skyline auto trans, steering etc pumps with no luck.

Would it also depend on what part of the system you are adding a cooler to? How strong the pump is pushing will determine whether the cooler is filled quick enough, or only a few rows filled say if you had the in and out upside down.

I've tried to find info on the skyline auto trans, steering etc pumps with no luck.

SK has a piece on upgrading the stock trans cooler with a bigger (also pipe type) cooler:

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/59399-transmission-cooler/

SK has a piece on upgrading the stock trans cooler with a bigger (also pipe type) cooler:

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/59399-transmission-cooler/

thanks bob, mine is setup in basically the same way, but a bit higher. :) My thinking was that such a large cooler is almost useless as the oil only runs down the bottom of the cooler.

I was more interested in orientation of coolers for different parts, like steering, diff, engine etc. as i couldn't find any info on flow rates of the oil.

IMG_4164.jpg

IMG_4162.jpg

Mounted mine sideways as that was the best way to have it for my particular setup over in the passenger side front bar region. Not a fan of squeezing a cooler in infront of the radiator, plus my P/S and aircon stuff is already there.

My R34 GTT OEM auto trans cooler was vertical (middle of the pic):

9741259392_0b90ae22fa.jpg

I installed a Davies Craig core the same way:
9871850506_48e9a33e89_z.jpg

The car is now manual and I've just replaced the Davies Craig with a Mocal oil cooler core, again vertical (on the right):

24060434862_2227508f3f.jpg

^^^ I've also reused the original trans cooler as a PS cooler, it's now horizontal.

Like GTSBoy said, the orientation probably doesn't matter as long as you get some decent air flow through the core...

You'd have some of the most chilled out power steering out there.
May i ask, what was the reason you decided to move the trans/PS cooler, and put the oil in its place?
Id have thought oil on the side would be better, as it would be a lot hotter than the trans that it replaced and would get cleaner airflow and not heat up the radiator?

Maybe i'm overthinking it.

You'd have some of the most chilled out power steering out there.

May i ask, what was the reason you decided to move the trans/PS cooler, and put the oil in its place?

Id have thought oil on the side would be better, as it would be a lot hotter than the trans that it replaced and would get cleaner airflow and not heat up the radiator?

Maybe i'm overthinking it.

Haha maybe - I got a bit carried away with the PS cooling after reading this: http://www.trak-life.com/diy-power-steering-oil-cooler/

Re previous auto trans cooler (Davies Craig), it's been disconnected since the manual conversion. I just modified the original auto trans cooler bracket and used the same space for the new oil cooler for a sturdy mount.

From a heat perspective you're right, it would have made more sense running the oil cooler in the guard. However the oil cooler is significantly bigger than the original auto trans core so would have been a tight squeeze. The braided hoses are difficult too because you can't do small radius turns, probably would have needed to have inlet and outlet facing down which is not ideal.

Anyway here's the Trak-Life inspiration for the oil cooler install: http://www.trak-life.com/diy-r33-skyline-oil-cooler-with-thermostat/

This borrowed pic gives a idea of the core size:

DIY-Oil-Cooler-03.jpg

I have no arisen etcI run both cooler cores (Oil and power Steering) the same as above ^^^ (outlets both facing headlights though) I have no air con or anything up front though.

I was taught to use them like that years ago, and Ive always done it since. Never had any issues doing it like so either. ;)

Edited by R31 drift pig

Found this on gtr.co.uk: http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/56507-aftermarket-oil-cooler-location-poll.html

post-45640-0-93588000-1452199264_thumb.png

Looks like there is a pretty even mix of install locations for oil coolers.

On the R34 the washer bottle takes up a fair bit of spare in the RH guard and if you have a return flow cooler the piping will be in the LH guard, so those can limit your options.

post-45640-0-93588000-1452199264_thumb.png

Orientation doesn't mean a lot, prob more important is airflow, I've got both my powersteer cooler and engine oil cooler between the intercooler and radiator (large Ron Davis Rad) where in a perfect world they wouldn't be jammed in there......but all my temps even on the track equalise at very well.

OilCoolers-1.jpg