SAU Community

Power steering Playing up PLZ HELP

Starionturbo

My R32 with RB25DET is having Power steering problems.

The Hicas Light is intermittently flashing at times and the power steering is grinding each time the light flashes. Im really worried about this and im hoping its nothing major. It seems like a broken PS pump, but sometimes, like when the car is sitting idling, the Power steering is FINE, no nosise, no grind no light.

I had my stereo installed today - could an Earth wire be affecting this. Is it anything to do with my battery.

Ive put more Power steering fluid in it and its not doing anything. The belts seem fine as well.

Im so scared ppls. Ive just spent my last penny getting this car and this happens I really hope its nothing major.

have you noticed any leaks of the power steering fluid?? could be just air pockets getting in the lines which will cause an error in the hicas as it has no fluid hitting the sensor!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for replies....reason I didn't get back was because I have been working on the prob. Rang local expert on P'steer and he said first up pump buggered (typical of "experts" replace first...then have a think about it). Explained tried 2 pumps then he suggested:

1. jack up car

2. With engine off - turn steering back and forth SLOWLY 5 times

3. Try again.

Expert said P'steer system is SELF PRIMING and that one of the HP hoses is a return line. Withthis in mind I also cracked both hoses and let foamy fluid out (with engine off).

Tried again and it WORKED!!!!! No noise.

On HICAS - the 2 lines going to the rear rack don't appear to be re-circulating (no return line?) AND there are 2 bleed nipples on the rear rack. IF the HICAS light comes on, there may be air in the rear lines. A good bleed may fix all those flashing HICAS lights.

Thanks for replies....it was my first thread.