SAU Community

Safe Speeding - Is There Such A Thing?

I just wish they would also go for the drivers that piss around at 10klm UNDER the speed limit, How many times are you in a 60 zone with a boofhead doing 45 or 50, then it changes into a 50 zone and they do 55. They do it all the time up here (country town)

The best are the drongos that do 60 t0 70 in a 80 zone and get to an over taking lane and off they go to 90 :angry:

If you get booked for speeding you should also get book for holding traffic up :yes:

• Like 1

Actually you can be booked for holding up traffic, they just don't seem to enforce it

Yes and Yes

Trouble is now if you overtake someone doing 90 in a 100 zone you must not go faster than 100. That does not work in most cases. Sometimes when they see you overtaking a lot will speed up and leave you hanging out there, then you have to back off and fall in behind them again :angry: or stamp on it and before you get by you could be doing 140ish +, goodbye license, maybe goodbye car ??

Back when I was younger I think the rule was or as I understood it ( before radar speed detectors) " wait till you have a clear section of the road and overtake as quickly as you can and pull back in to the lane and resume driving at the speed limit" this makes more sense. Maybe my memory just wants me to believe that was how it was, because that was what I did :woot:

• Like 2

The more years I've gained on my licence I've learnt,

Pay extra attention on roads that have telegraph poles along them, if someone messes up and you're doing even the speed limit at 60km/h the end result is going to be very nasty. I'd never do silly things on a road like this, traffic or no traffic the risk is too great. If you have a car with 4 or 5 people in it, chances are 1 or more will die. Been in this situation many times when I was on my P's in my mate's cars thinking, ''Yep, I'm gonna die"

Also, people can't judge your speed properly if you're speeding and will pull in front of you, really it's not their fault as you should be doing the speed limit. I never carry a lot of speed through roundabouts now ever. Usually you have 1-1.5 secs to respond and pull the car up if someone miss judges your speed.

The only times I'd ever speed is if I've traveled the road many times, you pretty much know every crack and off cambers the road has, it was quiet and no traffic. Bendy roads I know people are going to be at a dead stop around the next blind corner. Highway on ramps or overtaking on the highway are probably the only times I'd have my foot to the floor.

So I guess I'll say yes it may be safe at times, but it's a very small window. Most of the time I'm scanning for peoples mistakes and just following the speed of the traffic, not getting into peoples blind spots for too long etc

Yes and Yes

Trouble is now if you overtake someone doing 90 in a 100 zone you must not go faster than 100. That does not work in most cases. Sometimes when they see you overtaking a lot will speed up and leave you hanging out there, then you have to back off and fall in behind them again :angry: or stamp on it and before you get by you could be doing 140ish +, goodbye license, maybe goodbye car ??

Back when I was younger I think the rule was or as I understood it ( before radar speed detectors) " wait till you have a clear section of the road and overtake as quickly as you can and pull back in to the lane and resume driving at the speed limit" this makes more sense. Maybe my memory just wants me to believe that was how it was, because that was what I did :woot:

don't know if it has changed, or just wasn't enforced, but it is illegal to go over the speed limit when overtaking as well.

I think this is a little dangerous in itself.

Someone doing 10 under, then you doing the speed limit, it's going to take a fair while to get past that person.

don't know if it has changed, or just wasn't enforced, but it is illegal to go over the speed limit when overtaking as well.

I think this is a little dangerous in itself.

Someone doing 10 under, then you doing the speed limit, it's going to take a fair while to get past that person.

Back when I am talking about the cops would have to be following you to get the speed you were doing, now they just use radar.

Frustration can get to you and if you were to stay at the speed limit when overtaking , you want to be sure there is a big gap between you and any cars coming the other way.

Most holding up traffic in a single lane gun it when the second lane appears, then resume doing 10-20 under the speed limit when the overtaking lane ends.

I know someone in a fast car that still overtakes the AH that guns it in this situation, gets infront of them and slows right down to let them see what it is like, feels so good, I would imagine, but road rage can be the end result, LOL

But this person does not do it anymore, he has mellowed a little :yes:

Actually you can be booked for holding up traffic, they just don't seem to enforce it

HWP friend has been instructed to use discretion in booking drivers for this. His base is Lawson so it's very rare that he'd implement this rule.

Mind you, he has done it. $119 fine and 2pts.

Should be more of it Terry, L platters excluded, maybe red Ps

Once I get to the stage I cannot drive at the speed indicated, it is time to hand my license in , would I do it , I do not honestly know , but it is getting to close for me, LOL

If it is not because you are old and your reflexes turning to mush, 1 warning, then book them :)

Trouble is, those overtaken drivers don't have a clue that they're speeding up.

Their lack of spatial awareness is clear by their poor skills when back on single carriageway, can't cope at the posted speeds.

Even cruise control doesn't help them, they give it a squirt at the start of an overtaking lane and then at the end their cruise resumes plodding along.

You can smell the fuel from the overloaded cat, always an indication someone has the foot hard down.

I've noticed these aces also crap themselves at the "end of passing lane 500m" sign and immediately swing out into the right hand lane, shortening the designed overtaking distance considerably.

There's enough room after that sign for a couple of "B" doubles to overtake but these inconsiderate drivers simply don't have any skills.

I know someone in a fast car that still overtakes the AH that guns it in this situation, gets infront of them and slows right down to let them see what it is like, feels so good…..

• Like 2

When I get to an overtaking lane and the person in front has been dordling along 10 to 20 klms under the limit, there is no chance of smelling anything coming out of the back of a car that has had me pinned down for 5 to 20 klm and he had better have a rocket up his arse to stop me getting in front of him/her :yes:

That is safe speeding , stops me wanting to kill the prick :action-smiley-069:

• Like 2

Another example of today's poor driver is at the school speed zones.

We have mostly 100 highway speeds and then a small country school will pop up with a 60 or 80 zone.

Really feel for truck drivers having to brake hard and then get it all rolling again simply because some clown doesn't know the day of the week.

School's out, it's Sunday, read the bloody signs.

I just pass when I think is safe. f**k the lines.

I rule.

I find it easy to stick with the lines, apart from the Tiida my cars have always had enough grunt to slid by easily.

Ever notice it is a good hiding place for the HP when a straight stretch of road hits double lines , they used to love it down the National park road to the Gong , not sure what it is like nowadays ?

But a few have closed and are gone forever.

People complain about the noise (the same people who are the first to say take it off the streets).

I don't understand why the tracks aren't better backed(government) to help get speeding of the streets.

No, they generally of the camp of "just don't own a performance car"

I only ever felt out of control driving a car one time, very briefly. Lift off oversteer in a 97 pulsar, on a road that I have driven 1000 times. Wasn't very familiar with the car and was pushing quite hard. I was never in a position that I was going to kill anyone however.

There is a time and a place for everything, even speeding.

Re: outdated speed limits, yes, in nearly all cases they are very outdated, but what some do not consider is that there is a metric shittonne more cars on the road now. And retards. Stack more retards. And they are breeding.

I commute nearly 50kms each way every day on a moto and see heaps of them. I saw a guy brushing his teeth while driving a few weeks ago. That was a new one. Mobile foneing both text and talk, newspapers, makeup, eating breakfast, searching for something in the back. I see all of these things nearly every day.

People just need to focus on the task of not running into anything, everything else (keeping eyes attached to the speedo included) can wait.

Edit: I am 35

Edited by MagicMikeZ32
  • Like 1