SAU Community

R32 Gts A/c Not Working

mrsr32

Hi

I've just picked up another r32 and trying to work out why the a/c isn't working.

When I turn on the a/c, i don't hear the compressor kick in and if i let the temp run up to around 96 deg, the condenser fan doesn't kick in.

I've checked the 2 fuses in the car, the bottom one is fine as when you pull it it stops the a/c controls. The top fuse (4th in from the left), isn't blown and if I put my multimeter on it, it reads 12v.

Unsure on how I could check the relays aircon and blower fan in the fuse box in the engine bay.

From my searching, I could try bridging the pressure switch to bypass it.

Is it possible for me to 'jump' the compressor or the condenser fan to check if they are dead or if I'm dealing with a wiring issue.

The compressor has a brown plug with 2 pins and a black plug with a single pin. Not sure which ones to bridge here

The fan has what I would expect to be a 12v and a -ve, so easy to bridge.

On the r32 ecu, I see there is a a/c request pin and a ac clutch pin, there is also pin 6 which is suppose to be a engine temp fan which I thought was the blower fan, but my loom doesn't even have the wire in it.

So, I'm a bit confused as to how the wiring is suppose to work in the car to turn the fan on.

At a guess the circuit goes something like this

a/c on at the controls > ecu to turn on ac clutch > a/c fuse under dash > aircon relay under bonnet > pressure switch > a/c compressor....

Any help would be much much appreciated.

I'd bridge the low pressure switch on the dryer first off, might just need gas.

There's a few different 32 compressors, some have a high pressure switch incorporated which would be why yours has twin plugs.

Pin 46 is aircon signal in.

Pin 9 is aircon signal out.

I haven't owned a 32 for a while but from memory the thermo fan on them is only coolant temp activated, no ecu signal. The switch at the bottom tank operates the fan relay.

Ok, tried jumping the compressor at the relay and i can hear it ticking/clicking.

Tried earthing the fan off the sensor plug, but I just hear the relay click. Tried a couple of relays, same thing. I put 12v straight to the fan connector and the fan spun.

Might be the beginning of electrical gremlins.

Thanks figured that out about the fan pretty quick looking at the wiring.

I earthed the temp switch and could hear the relay clicking, but it wouldn't fire up the fan. I put 12v direct to the fan and it spun up.