SAU Community

R33 Skyline Gearbox

Gday.

Is anyone able to tell me​ what gearbox is in a R33 skyline, 40th Anniversary if it makes any difference. 3rd and 4th gear grinds into gear so need to find a 2nd hand gearbox but can't find one for the life of me.

GTST Manual by the way​.

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.​

Try changing the oil in it with redline lightweight shockproof first. You'll need 3.5 litres. It may or may not make your problems go away.

Then it will eat all your synchros away (like it did in my car)

Do not use Redline Shockproof if you want the box to last. I made that mistake, now my box grinds 3rd to 5th.

Then it will eat all your synchros away (like it did in my car)

Do not use Redline Shockproof if you want the box to last. I made that mistake, now my box grinds 3rd to 5th.

The op's box is already grinding. If the shockproof stops it then it would be a win for him.

• Like 1

EBay. Around $20 a bottle. U will need 4. Depending where u live u may be able to pick up. Alternatively you can get tubes of nulon smooth shift that johnny suggested from supercheapshit auto.

Why does it only have to last a few weeks?

I already put 1 bottle of smooth shift in it, and it didn't really do much.

I'm getting a 2nd box rebuilt so this one only has to last a few weeks until the other one is sorted.

I was suggested put 2 smooth shifts in it, and some flash lube heavy duty oil stabilizer.

if that's the case just leave it as is. No point in wasting $80 on oil if your getting another box in a few weeks. Cant find em, grind em.

When you get your new box, just run conventional gear box oil, not shockproof.

I'm more then happy to spend the $80 to have a less grindy gearbox for the time being lol. Still gotta source a gearbox and shit yet :)

How much smooth shift do I stick in it? And is that flash lube heavy duty stuff good enough?

Once upon a time, my GT-R got a split clutch hose (standard rubber). I had to drive the car home with no clutch, only had one use of it to move the car from stand still. Luckily I managed to get a couple of green lights before getting onto the motorway.

You don't need a clutch to drive the car, but if you stop, you'll have to move it on the starter or something.

Don't need a tacho to rev match, can do it from sound and 'feel'. The single synchro gearbox in my R31 is quite slow, but I can drive it smoothly. I can drive my GT-R by lazy rev matching and it's quite smooth (super heavy clutch).

Don't shift quickly, keep the revs up and practice. You'll get the hang of it, then can apply it to your new box :P.