SAU Community

R33 Skyline Gearbox

niZmo_Man's on the money. We're all spoilt with modern cars.

Only need a clutch to get moving, after that it's sound and feel, about knowing the machine.

And if the gearing's slow enough (as in that old quad box) you don't even need a clutch to start off, just bang it into 1st-Lo-Lo and you're crawling away.

Now we have AMT which is simply rev matching via computer. Lazy days.

but that has single synchros LOL

FFS Johnny. If you can't drive a skyline without a clutch because you can't "wait" for the speeds to match, sell the car. That goes for up and down gears. Learn to rev match, learn to preload gears. It ain't rocket science. Lol.

FFS Johnny. If you can't drive a skyline without a clutch because you can't "wait" for the speeds to match, sell the car. That goes for up and down gears. Learn to rev match, learn to preload gears. It ain't rocket science. Lol.

I do want to sell the car and get a Ford Focus RS lol

Rev matching is up or down shifting, otherwise you're crunching gears.

Knowing the vehicle means there's no need to watch the tacho or any other instrument.

Up shifting is simply taking it easy, as previously mentioned by GTS Boy.

Or double de-clutch on the up shift as one did in the olden days with non-synchro gearboxes or way way back to crash boxes. Again taking it easy as all the double de-clutching in the world won't help if the revs aren't correct.

Of course there's no need to double de-clutch either but often it's a hard habit to break for old timers.

FWIW, i diluted my R33 box with engine oil and the crunching stopped, in a mazda eunos i used ATF ( dealer recommended as last resort) , that also worked a treat,

if the syncho's are worn or stuffed, you have to thin the oil down...

• Like 1