SAU Community

Changing Brake Pads Without Removing Calipers? How To Compress Pistons?

Hi guys,

This is a really basic question but I can't find a clear answer: Is there a good way to change front brake pads without removing calipers?

I read somewhere to turn old pad sideways and lever against the disc using it. I've tried this but it's still really hard going, the pistons are really tight.

I have removed the brake fluid reservoir top too.

Any tips on how to do this easier? Do I need a special tool?

The car is an R34 GTT with the standard Sumitomo calipers.

quick search and i found this, not sure how well it would work.

corvette-brakes-17.jpg

I've had my pads out about 4 times in the last 2 weeks (because of squealing issues) i can't see any other way except for taking the caliper off, or possibly using that tool if it works well.

Also very interested if there is an easier way.

• Like 1

quick search and i found this, not sure how well it would work.

corvette-brakes-17.jpg

I've had my pads out about 4 times in the last 2 weeks (because of squealing issues) i can't see any other way except for taking the caliper off, or possibly using that tool if it works well.

Also very interested if there is an easier way.

Thanks mate! What's the best way to compress the pistons with the caliper off, without a tool like that?

That tool does actually make sense if it's big enough - pull pads out on both sides and push opposing pistons in using the tool.

The other typical issue is the other piston popping up when you compress the other on the same side, so ideally you'd have two of these tools...

Thanks mate! What's the best way to compress the pistons with the caliper off, without a tool like that?

That tool does actually make sense if it's big enough - pull pads out on both sides and push opposing pistons in using the tool.

The other typical issue is the other piston popping up when you compress the other on the same side, so ideally you'd have two of these tools...

G clamp. Leave 1 pad in and use clamp to compress 2 pistons, then put the pad on the 2 pistons in the other side of caliper and repeat. Done.

Use the ring end of a spanner bigger than the ID of the piston, say 19mm? Lever it carefully against the rotor with the ring end resting inside the piston and will push it in without issue, i have found.

Edited by hardsteppa

Thanks guys, looks like a combination of old pads, flat steel, spanners etc did it. Would have been quicker to just take the calipers off :)

I have ordered the tool Trex posted above to see if it saves some hassle next time.

Thats is seriously a waste of money, a screwdriver or spanner is all ive ever used on all cars

Hehe yeah it's pretty basic ... however if it saves me an hour next time it'll be worth the $25 :)

Youll get better at it the more you do it, its a 30min job changing the front pads now for me, no special tools required...

I find those types of tools just give chance to your caliper paint getting scratched and another tool to grab for the job...

• Like 1

Youll get better at it the more you do it, its a 30min job changing the front pads now for me, no special tools required...

I find those types of tools just give chance to your caliper paint getting scratched and another tool to grab for the job...

I reckon that tool will take longer than a screw driver

Ok ppl with your fancy screwdrivers, do you just lever off the disc to push the pistons in? Or chuck something in between?

Use a lever under the old pad to push the pistons back. Pull out one pad so you have some room, it will allow the rotor to have small amount of movement as well