SAU Community

Nics Rb20 Rocker Cover Mods

I have these two photos of the finned rb20 rocker covers, and im assuming that the rear breathers must have been custom done as i cant find any factory rear breathers on these rocker covers.

Does anyone know how why where etc for this setup?

post-141083-0-82324500-1457177718_thumb.jpg

post-141083-0-43256300-1457177733_thumb.jpg

I do not know if there is any functional advantage to either of the venting arrangements shown above. I modified mine for purely cosmetic reasons as I thought the original R32 engine was a cluttered mess. I put the main vent tubes on the sides of the cam covers, but above the baffle plates. The equalizer tube can be seen below the perforated cover. As for all the bright colors, I prefer something with more of a factory look.

The custom made intake plenum was also done just for appearance, seems to work very well.

post-115519-0-64161400-1457331012_thumb.jpg

I do not know if there is any functional advantage to either of the venting arrangements shown above. I modified mine for purely cosmetic reasons as I thought the original R32 engine was a cluttered mess. I put the main vent tubes on the sides of the cam covers, but above the baffle plates. The equalizer tube can be seen below the perforated cover. As for all the bright colors, I prefer something with more of a factory look.

The custom made intake plenum was also done just for appearance, seems to work very well.

I really like what you have done there! Looks very very tidy!

What FFP are you running?

I have no idea what "FFP" is. If you have not seen it, you may want to look at my website, which gives details of the build on the RX-7 and also on the RB20 powered Studebaker. The external spring on the wastegate controller was installed on both cars, and the RX-7 now boosts to 12 - 13 psi. After some tinkering, both cars are now running really well.

stilettoman.info

Edited by stilettoman

I have no idea what "FFP" is. If you have not seen it, you may want to look at my website, which gives details of the build on the RX-7 and also on the RB20 powered Studebaker. The external spring on the wastegate controller was installed on both cars, and the RX-7 now boosts to 12 - 13 psi. After some tinkering, both cars are now running really well.

stilettoman.info

FFP: Forward facing plenum

R32Pal -

Don't know if you looked at my web site, but the FFP on the RX-7 required about 10 hours work, is shown in this thread in "Forced Induction" post number 24:

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/428716-rb20det-forward-facing-plenum/page-2?hl=%2Bstilettoman#entry6934997

The FFP we built for the Studebaker is much more interesting, required a lot more work of course, shown here in Post number 20:

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/433066-skyline-drivetrain-and-suspension-in-1948-studebaker/page-1

Ben

I have these two photos of the finned rb20 rocker covers, and im assuming that the rear breathers must have been custom done as i cant find any factory rear breathers on these rocker covers.

Does anyone know how why where etc for this setup?

They actually are a custom R31 setup. Not from an RB20.

http://www.jdmautolink.net/2012/02/r31-finned-valve-covers-fits-rb20-25-26.html