SAU Community

Why the hell did Nissan stop selling the Skyline in Aus?

I really dont understand. Look at how popular they are now as grey imports. Just imagine how many more would be on the roads if they were sold here officially! Why choose the Maxima? How is it better? I mean, in my area, you see so many R31 Skylines around. Why did Nissan stop there? The R32's, 33's and 34's are easily a match for the aussie Falcodores! Whats the deal?

EDIT: Woohooo! 7000th thread!

They are popular because they are cheap... unfortunately, Nissan would have to sell them new, and thus charge new prices. Somehow I can't see people thinking they are such a bargain then....

LW.

I cant see them being that much more expensive when new compared to, Commonwhores and whatnot. Would they really have been that expensive new? Too expensive for many people to buy them?

When they sold the GTR's out here new they were around 90k (correct me if i am wrong) which, at the time, provided superior bang for your buck compared to the Porkas, Fez's etc. To my understanding, the only reason they didnt sell all of them was because they were getting a bad rep for dominating the touring car championship. Is this correct?

Back then, I think the price would have been prohibitive, and also they probably would have found it hard to find a correct market in Australia.

Then it would have had to have been targetted as a family sedan (hence probably no 2 door versions) to be pitched against the commodores, magnas, and camrys of the time... just as the local R31 skyline was. The perception would have been that they would be too small, and not enough power (just the fact that it was a 2L would have turned many off) for Australian buyers. They would never have sold the RB20DET due the general consesus that power = v8, which either left the RB20E (erk), or another more modern version of the rb30E. It would have all been about the mindset of the average Australian buyer back then, which is fairly different to what it is now.

Guess costs were prohibitive, nissan wasn't doing too well then (i think it was around a similar time to the stopping of production of the Pulsar, etc in Australia), and wasn't really in a position to be sinking more money into R&D.

Going the other route and selling the R32 RB20DET as a "sporty 2L turbo coupe" probably also a difficult proposition at the time. It was only later on that the WRX, early EVO's, and other sporty turbos really gave the general perception that you could get good power out of a 2L.

I am not sure the exact reasons, but that is what I have always thought when I have wondered why myself :)

nice answer lwells. That's very true. A skyline isn't really good value nowadays anyway. Compliance prices have risen heaps. Compliance costed me 2000 for my first r33. Unfortunately, that one was written off. I used got one in.Compliance costed me 5000. 20 odd thousand for a 7 yr old car? not that good value.

Skylines aren't cheap when new. Much better stuff available in aust for similar prices. A wrx would be cheaper, faster and 4wd compared to a gtst.

take the r32 gtr as an example. Sold in aust for $110 000. I'd take a porsche boxster instead anyday. At the end of the day, a skyline still looks like a fairly ordinary 2 door sedan. I'd take a convertible porsche anyday. The boxster has a better resale value, drives better.

I thought they still were selling brand new R32 GTRs :)

They bought 100 into the country thru Nissan Australia and took about 3 years to sell them off :D They were here as image builders supporting the motorsport effort and they took for ever to sell.

Remember even in 92 after winning the ATCC for 3 years Jimmy had to tell the Bathurst fans they were a pack of ars3holes....basically not many ppl saw jap turbo cars as a serious option back then.

And not much has changed.....how many R34 GTRs do you think they could sell here for $140k+. Last year Honda sold 6 NSXs so that gives you an idea......

Yep.

It was all about price and perception.

The first bunch of cars sold quite quickly but in the end the last few tooks years to sell.

$110,000 15 years ago was $200+k today.

1989 most expensive HSV was like $50k Nows it about $100k

That's a bloody expansive car in anyones eyes.

BASS OUT

The problem is that Nissan are not a major force in Australia; especially with a niche car like the Skyline. I don't think the old R32 series of sedans and coupes were 'right sized' or 'technologically simple enough for us back in 1989.

The VN/EA Commodores were one size up and what is one to make of DOUBLE overhead cams and 24 valves in a little straight six??? Clearly these cars were a generation ahead of what Australians were acustomed to.

Oh they can sell Pulsars and whatnot but look at the old S14 200sx.

This was my dream car back in 1994 or whatever.

It was $40,000!

How much would a 1994 R33 GTSt be??? $60,000?

I feel that as much as people slag off the R32/33 Skylines, they are extremely well appointed cars even for today and if they were sold locally there would be no way so many of us could afford them.

So I'm glad they weren't sold here or I'd be in Falcodore Hell.

T.

take the r32 gtr as an example. Sold in aust for $110 000. I'd take a porsche boxster instead anyday.

they sold boxsters back then? :P

One of the reasons I think they didn't sell that well back then was because of the price tag, a HSV GTS in 92 was 54k, a GTR, 110k. OUCH!

TonyGTS-t, id say around that mark (guesstimate) as the R32 GTS-t was sold for around half the cost of the GTR in japan making a 92 model worth around 55k.. so the R33 would have been slighty more if they sold them here.

Shaun

Nissan Australia bought 200 GTR's in to this country all at the same time or there abouts. Pre-Sales were about 30 and RRP was $120000. At RRP they sold approx 80 then a big discount happened and the price was dropped to 95000 with a hold back of 5000. Nissan still couldn't sell many with only about 40 cars being cleared. The rest were shipped back to Japan. The dealership I worked for were not an approved dealer so we were selling Scuderia versions which didn't help the factory as we sold 5 from memory at around 85000. Back then you couldn't option an Aussie car high enough to get over 65000. My Nissan Australia's Rep back then was the guy in charge of the final push to clear the remaining cars but with compliance plates getting old he couldn't move enough.

Neil.

It's simple, they were way too expensive. I mean c'mon, let's be honest, who would want to pay 140+k for a Nissan or any Japanese car for that matter, even an NSX?? Next to no one (literally!).

A 1skyline is a decent buy at 20k, 60-80k would an ok price for a GTR, but at 140k??

and why is it 140k ..tariffs + taxes that the make price this high...tariffs that protect companys like General Motors & Ford/ Toyota ....some how or other companys like GM (if it was a country it would be the sixth largest economy in the world) manage to gain protection from competition by having there competitors priced out...Terreto is correct in saying 60-80k is the price..thats about what the japs pay ...thats what there worth ...it only gets to 120+ when you have to pay for guy next doors commodore as well

I meant the skyline series, IE Gtst and GTS more so than GTR

good question glasshopper

been mulling this one for 7 years now ..

first r32 gtst ...WTF didnt they bring this over

i think it may have been money situation at nissan...i mean they brought out the s12 GAZELLE .but no S13/silvia or 180 ..what genuis deceided not to bring in the silvia :headspin:

well jake32 to put it simply, thats just sucks

Many people here cant see past their own noses when it comes to a well engineered car with good electrics and a great engine, handling, the whole package and thats talking about the gtst, dont let me start with the GTR.

Oh and about whether one would pay 110k for a gtr or a boxster (assuming say they were sold in the same time frame and all that brand new) i would definiately take the GTR i mean cmon it has the best engine ever made enough goodies to power a space station (no disrespect to porsche as they do make great cars) but the skyline gtr is the ultimate road car imo, and if u want it to be can be a great track car as well

my 2cents

Yeh like i said, if they advertised it properly they COULD have sold plenty of skylines here, including GTRs

and THEN when fast and furious came out glorifing imports, because they are sold at dealerships, they would have had a massive spike in sales.

Owell, hopefully they make the right decisions with the next GTR, there under some serious pressure to make a car that surpasses the old GTR platform completely, not just body, but engine, drivetrain .. the whole deal. Not to mention they also have to please the modification/cult followers of skylines.

Oh, and a boxter s is weak as shit

only descent porsche is a GT2 or 3 and they go for about $200,000

knore.

I'd be careful calling the Boxter S (made by the worlds most profitable car company) weak.

It would probably eat most of the cars here around the twistes.

I've been in plenty of them, and they may not be brutally fast in a straight line, but they are such a beautiful car you can forgive them that.