SAU Community

Harmonic Damper

Hi, hoping someone can help me.

I'm having some trouble with the harmonic damper on my rb26, the motor is in an unmodified s13 chassis so it is a reasonably tight squeeze. I am running a rb25 ps pump and rb25 ps bracket, so the normal GTR harmonic dampers will not line up (10mm too long). The rb25 (r33) damper is a perfect fit, but as I haven't run a 26 with a 25 damper before I am a little worried, theoretically it is only a damper and the crank is internally balanced so it should work fine. Has anyone had to do this before? The car is solely used for track so it sees big revs consistently. If I run the gtr balancer, pump and bracket it will Run extremely close to the radiator. (not ideal).

I have tried to sort this out with a very reputable workshop in Sydney but Ive found Ive been ripped a new one for parts, the particular employee couldnt even keep up with his own lies and now I am $1000 out of pocket and no harmonic damper.

As you can imagine after being stung badly by a company that is supposedly the rb gurus in Sydney, I find myself questioning any info I've been given. And what's probably an easy fix has me sweating bullets.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I'm aware the main differences between RB balancers is the belt setup. So by that theory using a 25 balancer with 25 ancillaries should be fine. The key ways and everything else will be fine.

Thanks for the reply, I got onto Ross balancers today and they had no worries with the rb25 balancer on the 26. Going to go for their gold series as it's the best they make for race application. Hopefully the final piece of the puzzle. What was a routine freshen up turned into an 8 week adventure due to 1 incompetent pleb who I really want to name but I am still trying to get my $1000 back. So for the moment the workshop will remain nameless. But a quick search on this forum confirms I'm not the only one.