SAU Community

Ecu + Gauges - Sensor Signal Integration

I'm just wondering what setups everyone is running in the gauges/dashes/ECU department. Who is running 1 sensor and outputting to multiple devices?

obviously in an ideal world, we would all be running full standalone with CAN bus and race dashes. For those of us without a $10k budget on electrical, there are options but seems to be a lot more effort involved making an effective and worthwhile setup.

My predicament:

Autronic SM4 with sensor inputs from: fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, air temp, MAP.

Gauges I would like to run: oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, AFR, boost.

I tried to run my existing Defi DIN gauges in parallel to the Sensor-ECU signals, but Defi gear use their own retarded voltage ranges and self-check systems which means it didnt want to play ball. I want to avoid running 2x sensors for each parameter (if possible), for what info I can find, sharing a sensor signal with ECU and gauges should work fine if both use the same ranges (eg 0-5V).

Original plan was to run Autometer gauges and AEM boost+AFR, but this 1Gauge unit I've heard about is an attractive option because it doesnt require CAN. http://1gauge.com.au/store.php

Having a look at the sensors supplied with that system, I would be asking if it is possible to change the sensors that are used. Those sensors are easily affected by external sources, as they use the engine block and chassis as the return path, and changes to the return resistance will effect the sensors. They also rely on the tension in the connector to maintain the connection, and any movement in the connector can make the connector lose contact with the sensor. The fluid pressure sensors are also prone to fail when directly mounted on an engine, as the internals are not shock mounted, and will vibrate to pieces.

Having a look at the sensors supplied with that system, I would be asking if it is possible to change the sensors that are used.

Thanks for the tip.

I have all my sensors already, so wouldnt be using the supplied ones.

A second hand aim or racepak display dash is very cheap these days, I'd say you'd come out cash positive after selling your existing gauges. You can connect the sm4 serial directly to the dash and you're done. If you haven't already you can send the wideband to the sm4 and from there to the dash also.

Main issue is the sm4 is input limited so if you want to expand further you will need a logger dash or standalone logger (this is what I've done). As a bonus then you also get gps, accelerometers and logging.

• Like 2

A second hand aim or racepak display dash is very cheap these days, I'd say you'd come out cash positive after selling your existing gauges.

fair point.

I've already sold the Defi gauges, havent bought anything else yet.

This looks great, but not exactly cheap.

http://www.my105.com/ListingDetails/id/16586