SAU Community

Largest Brakes Under R34 Gtt Stock 17" Wheels?

Hi guys, I did a quick search but can't find a clear answer:

What's the largest verified brake kit you can fit behind R34 GTT stock 17" wheels? I'm running 20mm spacers too so have more clearance behind the spokes.

I'd love to run the 350mm disc + Evo 9 caliper conversion but I'm not convinced it'll fit.

I really want to avoid changing rims as I have two sets of these, with good new street and track rubber..

Thanks heaps

Look at how much clearance you currently have and do the simple maths

Will do, although I'm not sure about the simple part as all calipers are slightly different shapes and sizes..?

Ideally I'm keen to hear that someone runs XYZ calipers with 3xx mm discs and stock wheels with no issues.

Buy evo kit, try it. Sell to me cheap if it doesn't fit. Win.

Well, win for me.

But really, i'm similar, have 17in drifteks and think it mayyyy squeeze in but would be tight. Saw evo10 brakes last weekend, theyre huge.

Buy evo kit, try it. Sell to me cheap if it doesn't fit. Win.

Well, win for me.

But really, i'm similar, have 17in drifteks and think it mayyyy squeeze in but would be tight. Saw evo10 brakes last weekend, theyre huge.

Did you try the wheel on? Would love to know how close it is..

I had 350mm AP racing kit on my previous car, they're big brakes.

• 2 weeks later...

Doubt you'll get 350mm EVO brakes inside of a 17" wheel.

I'm running 350Z Brembos and there is about 8mm of wheel clearance vs. caliper with 17" R33 GTR wheels.

That's a 324mm disc from memory? Similar to 33/34 GT-R factory Brembos?

Doubt you'll get 350mm EVO brakes inside of a 17" wheel.

I'm running 350Z Brembos and there is about 8mm of wheel clearance vs. caliper with 17" R33 GTR wheels.

350mm evo 10 rotor with Evo 6 Brembos here and I have 17's over them. Its all to do with the inner barrel, if it steps then you have no hope. Currently running teks atm and I'm in the process of selling them and want to stay something in the 17inch range.

Any Japanese wheel that has a non stepped barrel should clear them depending on spoke design and offset.

350mm evo 10 rotor with Evo 6 Brembos here and I have 17's over them. Its all to do with the inner barrel, if it steps then you have no hope. Currently running teks atm and I'm in the process of selling them and want to stay something in the 17inch range.

Any Japanese wheel that has a non stepped barrel should clear them depending on spoke design and offset.

Thanks – Would you happen to know the inner diameter of the Teks at all?

I ran a number of different aftermarket 17in wheels with 330mm D2 Brakes (and they were fine at the track with my 1700kg Stagea). I don't think your GTT wheels will fit over 350mm brakes - why don't you track down some members with big brakes and ask if you can try a GTT wheel on - then you will know for sure

• Like 1

Ok so I took some measurements of the R34 GTT stock wheels tonight:

• Wheel size is 17x7.5" (yes they're skinny) and I'm pretty sure offset is +40 (it says 40 and SK40 on the inside spokes), plus I'm running 20mm spacers all around
  • ~390mm inner diameter at the wheel mounting surface (the line you see in the photo)
  • ~415mm inner diameter at the wider barrel
  • ~78mm wheel face to mounting surface
  • ~120mm wheel face to wider barrel

My current caliper clearance is about 18mm, measured from the caliper edge to the narrow part of the barrel.

As mentioned I would love to run the Evo 350mm kit but I'm pretty sure it won't clear, would love to test it though!

If anyone can confirm inner diameter of their aftermarket 17" wheel (at narrowest point) and which larger-than-stock discs and calipers they're running, that'd be ace :)

26366116975_a4c66a1360_c.jpg

Ok I know that I just need to go and trial fit the wheel over some actual brake setups but ... in the meantime did some back-of-the-envelope calculations for different rotor sizes:

Rotor|Surface+|Volume+
310 | - | -
324 | 17% | 15%
330 | 25% | 22%
343 | 42% | 37%
350 | 52% | 45%
These are all somewhat optimistic figures, assuming that the disc surface start radius is the same for all sizes, 30mm rotor thickness, and 25% hollow rotor volume.
Anyway what I was trying to work out is whether the 33/34 GT-R 324mm Brembos would be a worthwhile upgrade – I don't think so.
I think the main options keeping the original rims are the 343mm and 330mm rotors (or thereabouts) – which size is most common in terms of disc & caliper (read: the most affordable to acquire and replace)?
Cheers

I have the AOR Brembo front and rears on my R32 GT-R if you want to try a wheel on for size

Thanks man, is that with the 350mm front discs?

Quickly measured the teks before selling them. Hub was 400mm and the outer rim was 425mm. And they were tight but never fouled on anything.

Brilliant thanks mate!

I'd say the 350mm setup is out then, though it would be great to test it with the 20mm spacer on...

I'll keep an eye out if anyone has 343's or 330's for a quick trial fit :)