SAU Community

Largest Brakes Under R34 Gtt Stock 17" Wheels?

Sure let us know.

Rob and I did a trial fit of the GTT stock wheel tonight (with lug nuts acting as ~20mm spacers) and can confirm that it will NOT clear over the AOR 350mm kit.

It's not far off but enough to make a 343mm setup very much touch-and-go too - I think it will come down to the shape of the caliper really.

Thanks heaps Rob for your help on this!

Ps. With the wheel nut torque 100-110Nm should be a good range based on my research (e.g. http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/26-wheels-suspension-tyres-brakes/21254-wheel-nut-torque.html )

I had a feeling 330mm is about as large as you can get under a generous 17". Subaru STi brakes are 326mm from memory and live under 17" wheels.

Yeah 330 is probably the target unless 343 can be squeezed on.

Not keen on 324/326 as it's a tiny increase over the stock 310mm..

just get better pads, and ducting

Yeah I'm actually happy with the current brake setup in general, it's just that my pistons are starting to seize and I'm pretty sure rebuild won't be cheap. Hence looking at options to potentially upsize.

Keen on ducting too :) Have you got some for yours?

Yeah I'm actually happy with the current brake setup in general, it's just that my pistons are starting to seize and I'm pretty sure rebuild won't be cheap. Hence looking at options to potentially upsize.

Keen on ducting too :) Have you got some for yours?

I'm planning to get these.. basic and "should" improve cooling as per my broscience hypothesis lol

ftpsize.JPG

• Like 1

Are they metal? Look like an unnecessary load of unsprung weight if they are. If they're CF, then fine. If it were me coming up with that idea (which I kind of like by the way), I'd knock them up in corflute. Nice and light and easy to repair/replace when you scone something hard on the road.

yeah they are... doubt they weigh more than 500g a side? I know weight is weight and you're just adding more to the reciprocating mass but in the scheme of things..just get better wheels? LOL

https://conceptzperformance.com/czp-racing-performance-brake-cooling-duct-kit-nissan-300zx-90-96-z32-czp-brkdct-z32_p_7717.php

• 2 weeks later...

Jumping back to brakes for a moment, does anyone know if there's any chance of adapting HVS/AP Racing calipers onto Skyline hubs?

They're cheap as chips, a full 4-pot all-round kit with 365mm front and 350mm rear rotors for $2,799?! http://www.vsport.com.au/hsv-ve-vf-commodore-front-4-piston-365mm-rear-4-piston-350mm-brake-kit-2282

I ran a slightly smaller AP Racing kit on my old Monaro and it was fab.

Adaptor would be difficult as commodore brake mounting points are a long way from outer edge of disc, if that makes sense. Normally an adaptor would move the Mount holes outwards, away from hub. I think in the case of putting commodore calipers it would be the opposite, and could get weird.