SAU Community

M35 Turbo Q

Car is in with the mechanic now - major loss of power + shaking.

Multiple things need doing but the important one at the front of the car is the Turbo.

From what they have said something about a wastegate actuator is stuck open and won't close? I'm sure that means something to others and as a result the entire Turbo probably needs replacing. It's making no boost.

They're getting back to me tomorrow for prices on a bunch of stuff but I'm a bit iffy on the Turbo. I was under the impression that a replacement for the M35 Turbo is hard to find and that is why most people rebuild.

How hard is it to get a replacement Turbo as opposed to a rebuild?

EDIT: It's about 50/50 that I'll even bother repairing at this stage though, rear shocks need replacing, a bunch of seals etc, coilpacks, turbo. If it breaks over 4-5k then the car is going to be sold as scrap.

Edited by LordMidol

rear shocks need replacing, a bunch of seals etc, coilpacks, turbo. If it breaks over 4-5k then the car is going to be sold as scrap.

up to you, most people install coilovers anyway and coil packs/spark plugs will probably sort the shaking and running like shit (if its a misfire).

going to have to be a bit more descriptive than "a bunch of seals".

if you're not interested in doing any of the repairs yourself, i would at least take the list from this workshop and get a second opinion.

Spoke with my brother who is an apprentice mechanic and he'll help me out if I want to.

He questioned why I'd replace the entire turbo and not just throw an external waste gate on? The fins in the Turbo are fine, it's just the wastegate won't close.

I'm in Brisbane now.

Regarding the seals I don't actually remember, but they were kind of an afterthought in the discussion so I gather that's a cheap fix. The bulk of the discussion was on the Turbo, Shocks and Coilpacks. I think he said #6 needs to be fixed and is responsible for the shaking of the car so that'll fix that side of it but he also said to replace all 6 at once.

The Turbo he said is not boosting at all, zero boost.

Depending on the prices I get tomorrow I'll probably get them to take care of the Coilpacks and then hand the rest over to my brother. My partner is kind of at the point where she'd rather bin the car if it's more than 4k. I'm not having much luck convincing her that spending 4k on repairs is still better than spending 25k on a new (second hand) car...

Edited by LordMidol

Well, the suggestion to put an external wastegate on to solve the potential issue is retarded. Fully retarded. So go easy before letting him loose on your car.

• Like 2

Hit up Scotty for a wastegate actuator upgrade! Install it and Problem fixed!

You would have little to no room for an external gate and if you did and are still running the stock internally gated turbo what's going to control that?

Ha, my bro has been an apprentice for 2 months I think. I more meant I have access to a workshop and he can help me rip parts out etc. He didn't just say "an external wastegate" but I'm not mech minded so cut it down.

I've no idea what the wastegate actuator upgrade from Scotty is but I sent him a PM - if it fixes the issue and it's less than upgrading the turbo then it's a done deal. My car has 210,000km on it now so I'm surprised the entire Turbo is still alive but it is.

Thanks to both of you for the info :)

Edited by LordMidol
  • Like 1

Ha, my bro has been an apprentice for 2 months I think. I more meant I have access to a workshop and he can help me rip parts out etc. He didn't just say "an external wastegate" but I'm not mech minded so cut it down.

I've no idea what the wastegate actuator upgrade from Scotty is but I sent him a PM - if it fixes the issue and it's less than upgrading the turbo then it's a done deal. My car has 210,000km on it now so I'm surprised the entire Turbo is still alive but it is.

Thanks to both of you for the info :)

no worries mate yep Scottys actuator upgrade is a 1bar actuator with and adjustable arm will bolt strait into the turbo with the 5mm bracket he does. If your turbo is still running sweet and it's just the diaphragm in the actuator is gone that's all you should need! Scott will sort you out mate [emoji106] hope you get it all sort at a decent price would be a shame for absorber one to be sold off for bits there no that old and a great car!

Some mechanics will say the turbo needs to come off to replace the actuator as access is difficult.

If that's the case you'd want to consider a rebuild anyway with 210000 kms on it

Ask your mechanics if they can try and fix it in place

I read somewhere a genuine Nissan replacement is over $2000 just for the turbo.

High flow service for $1200

Turbos are like tyres, you just have to replace them when they are worn.

Good luck.

If your current turbo is stuffed, yes it will be worth it as u don't really have another option other than brand new Nissan or roll the dice with second hand (not advisable in a stag, due to difficult access for removal). I would suggest the smallest possible high flow. That should work well with stock setup. It will be a little laggier but that's the way it goes. Before you do anything, get a proper diagnosis. You don't want to be waisting money on things that aren't required. If it is indeed your wastegate stuck open, that will be the issue of no boost and the turbo itself is probably fine. I had a similar issue on a different car and it wouldn't make boost until 5k rpm. Fixed the waste gate issue and was boosting perfectly again. Good luck.

Yep - still wanting for them to give me a call. If it's just the wastegate stuck open then for now I'll just look at fixing that. There is definitely no boost but I the Turbo itself is making no funky sounds and I specifically asked if the fins were okay and Nissan said they were but I'll need to look myself so I'll take the car up to my brothers, try and get the Turbo out and see what is going on.

Nissan advised me to find my own shocks and turbo - think their parts guys wanted $2700 for a new turbo. They did find lots of cheaper options but business rules mean they have to go through their set suppliers and can't do random repairs.

All up what they are doing is $1900 which includes a service, diagnostics (I think about $300 or so is diagnostics). I have already forgotten what some of it is but it includes replacing the Coilpacks (including 6 spark plugs), something about my transmission manifold, full oil change in the transmission and a few other bits and pieces.

Happy to pay that to them and then I'll get the Turbo and Shocks sorted on my own.

Edited by LordMidol

Always had it done at Nissan - tried a few independent guys and they took too long and didn't provide courtesy cars or provided courtesy cars that were from the 1970s.

We have one car and my motorbike with a 1 year old. We need a car, combining independents being slow + no courtesy car means they have to come in a lot cheaper to make up for the inconvenience of me having to go and hire a car.

DrLui is wrecking his stolen M35 here.

Grab his shocks.

I wouldn't go to Nissan unless I had a new car under warranty.

Look what they charge for an AFM

Find a mechanic who has a passion for performance cars and is known for their good work. ;)

• Like 1

I'll speak with DrLui and see about his shocks.

Got the car back today. Turbo feels fine tbh. If it's broken it has been broken since I got it. I'll take it to my bro and we'll remove it but I'm not sure what I'm looking for so we'll see what we find haha.

All up I had the oil changed, oil filter, few lights in the rear fixed (brake light and normal light), all 6 spark plugs, all 6 coils, two gasket rockers, new gasket oil pan, full transmission flush with new fluid, bunch of hoses replaced with hose clamps etc and it came to just under 2k. Probably could have done it slightly cheaper but it's running well, gear changes are super smooth.

• Like 2