SAU Community

Circuit Racing Learning - Online Resources

Hi all,

I've been having a look around trying to find good online resources for learning circuit racing techniques (entry level).

There's no substitute for track time of course but it's scarce so I'm keen to hear about any online content worthwhile reading or watching in the meantime?

In terms of explanation of various techniques, DrivingFast.net appears one of the better ones:

http://www.drivingfast.net/

This one's made me think differently, the only way to up pace is to first improve consistency:

Consistency -- How To Become a Better Track Day Driver -- Hooked On Driving

The whole SAFEisFAST series is excellent, though aimed at a more professional level drivers:

SAFEisFAST

All episodes: https://www.youtube.com/user/SAFEisFAST/videos

Here's one of them: Advanced Driving Techniques: Hitting the Apex

A fairly technical view into heel & toe and what happens in the driveline:

What Is Heel & Toe? (Downshifting)

Please feel free to add any good stuff you've come across below :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Slightly off topic but I thought I'd share. I got slightly older gaming rig off a mate and have been spending a bit of time in Assetto Corsa, running with Logitech G29 wheel, pedals and shifter.

With the Sandown V2 track and Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R Drift car (in the more tame 350bhp RWD Matsuri config) mods it's actually a pretty decent approximation of what my R34 feels like on that track in real life.

Doing a set of laps semi regularly I can see my times slowly getting more consistent, so it seems like good training from that perspective. I'll be very interested to see if this translates to the actual track - I've got a day at Sandown coming up on the 31st, fingers crossed!

Other suggestions - join a car club (as well as SAU - one that organizes races). Also the people that run track days sometimes (well they do in NZ) provide at a price experienced racing drivers to ride in the car with you and help improve your driving.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Other suggestions - join a car club (as well as SAU - one that organizes races). Also the people that run track days sometimes (well they do in NZ) provide at a price experienced racing drivers to ride in the car with you and help improve your driving.

Definitely. For me it's SAU and CAMS – both newsletters are great in helping find events.

Many CAMS affiliated clubs accept event entries from other clubs as well, so you can look beyond your 'home' club's events also.