SAU Community

Remote Starter Remote Control Needed

I had remote start in my 250GT and it was pointless... I can imagine it could be useful in extremely cold climates to start the car a few minutes before you get there to warm it up, but apart from that I could never come up with a good reason to have it.

For what it's worth - I don't think the remote starter acts as a smart key either.... In fact I am sure it doesn't as the car yard that sold me mine sold it as having "2 smart keys" but ended up having to pay for another smart key as they couldn't make the remote start key work as a smart key.

I don't know how easy it is to remove, but if it's easy then yeah - junk it.

Cheers - N

I have found 1 good use for remote start. On a really hot day I start the car a few minutes b4 I finish work so the ac can cool the cabin down when I hop in. Obviously the climate control has to be on when the car is switched off. Otherwise it is pretty useless. Was a feature that my cars alarm system had when I bought the car. I wouldn't have paid to fit it, that's for sure.

Suggest you scrap it for a new system altogether. Like a Viper.

BTW, Remote Start is a big "wanky" imo.

Not saying that you're wrong but I do disagree with that. I use remote start for two reasons:

1) So I can drive off with a car that's warmed up and ready to go

2) For the creature comfort of stepping in a car whose leather won't burn or freeze me

Sure, first world problems and all that but it's those little luxuries that make it worthwhile.

Was a feature that my cars alarm system had when I bought the car. I wouldn't have paid to fit it, that's for sure.

It helped that I installed it myself. :)

I think the best option is that I remove it. Saying that if its a hard job I might just leave it where it is!

If all you really want to do is remove the dill pickle on the a-pillar, I can't think of any good reason why it would affect the vehicle upon simply disconnecting and removing that ugly thing. :)

A-pillar pops off quite easily and hopefully the device is connectorised so that you can easily disconnect it without having to cut into any cabling. I dare say that device is purely the antenna/receiver unit.

Edited by The Max
  • Like 1

Not saying that you're wrong but I do disagree with that. I use remote start for two reasons:

1) So I can drive off with a car that's warmed up and ready to go

2) For the creature comfort of stepping in a car whose leather won't burn or freeze me

Sure, first world problems and all that but it's those little luxuries that make it worthwhile.

It helped that I installed it myself. :)

If all you really want to do is remove the dill pickle on the a-pillar, I can't think of any good reason why it would affect the vehicle upon simply disconnecting and removing that ugly thing. :)

A-pillar pops off quite easily and hopefully the device is connectorised so that you can easily disconnect it without having to cut into any cabling. I dare say that device is purely the antenna/receiver unit.

You're thoughts make sense mate. But, leave the car idling for a while while stationary isn't good for it and I don't mind stepping into my car and starting up my aircond which will take 2 minutes. Anyway, I suppose there is some good in remote starts.

Can't say I agree with the idling thing being bad either but then again, about five minutes is all the vehicle needs to be entirely ready as I described.