SAU Community

Flakey Computer, Working Then Fails Then Starts Working Again?

Hi,

Its been a while since I was here, but recently, My audio/computer stopped working, partially.

I have a V350 GT 2003 Premium. It has the Bose audio, with the rest pretty much standard with the addition of the Aux connector from Chris. In this Aux socket I usually plug my phone in for Audio. To use the Aux connector, I have to set the input source (ie CD/FM1/FM2/AM/Tape) to AUX. Recently, it stopped being able to switch to Aux. I also noted, that my computer (ie Fuel economy/compass etc) was a black screen. If I pressed the right button, the display contrast etc came up on the screen (ie the screen worked fine).

I thought (ie hoped) it was simply a blown fuse to one of the computers and planned to check them at my next free moment. However, the other day, It all started to work again. And then, stopped, but is now working again for the past few days.

When it was working/not working I noted that (on the screen) it looked like the computer was booting, shutting down and rebooting. It also made sense with the random beeps (as when starting) I was hearing while driving. Its as if there is a loose wire somewhere.

Any ideas? I'd like to get it reliable and the constant shutdowns can't be good for it.

I tried searching the forums, but it simply pulled up hundreds of unrelated posts, so sorry if its a well known issue.

But they also seem to "heel" on their own accord. Because of this, I am hoping its simply a loose wire / connection somewhere?

Edited by vee35

They "heal" themselves because there's the possibility it's a capacitor that's dried out or a component (or solder joint) that gradually warms up and comes good as well. Hopefully it is a loose connection and you can determine that by jiggling cables but it's probably going to be a bit more complex than that considering (without tampering) those connections are pretty solid.