SAU Community

Disc Size R34 Gtt

Hi all,

I changed my front discs to 310 mm ebc grooved and red stuff

Planning to do the same at back

I want bigger discs for the looks of it but understand it won't fit it

Has anyone fitted a bigger disc than 310 or 296 for rear?

Do you gain much braking power by bigger disc as it has more surface ?

I also have braided lines and racing dot4 catsrol

What will be the next upgrade you do? Master cylinder or brembo calipers??

You don't want larger rear brakes without much larger fronts first.

Yep, another brembo on the front would be better, and but do you really need it or just for looks?

I did fit the front ebc dimpled and grooved and red stuff

It almost crashed the other day as it soften up while doing a hard braking so either needs bleeding or something is wrong

I am aiming to get 500-550 bhp from mine and want to have a brake which supports that power

I have seen posts people using asaptor kit to use evo disc of 350mm

My question is would 310 mm with brembo be as strong to hold the car at high speed ?

There must be a reason all super cars have a bigger disc

I have the AOR Brembo Kits front and rear on my R32 GT-R. The fronts made a massive difference but the rear upgrade was definitely required to restore the brake bias.

Just factor in your wheel size as factory 17" don't clear this setup.

I did fit the front ebc dimpled and grooved and red stuff

It almost crashed the other day as it soften up while doing a hard braking so either needs bleeding or something is wrong

I am aiming to get 500-550 bhp from mine and want to have a brake which supports that power

I have seen posts people using asaptor kit to use evo disc of 350mm

My question is would 310 mm with brembo be as strong to hold the car at high speed ?

There must be a reason all super cars have a bigger disc

If you were try try to put ~350mm rotors at the rear you would need stupendously big brakes at the front. Trying to match VERY big rears with 310mm fronts would be wrong wrong wrong wrong.

You will not need to upgrade your rears until your fronts are at least >340mm.

You want us to tell you whether to do that? Surely it depends on how important it is that you have large looking rear brakes.

If you have enough brake power for the driving you do then ANY brake modification you do from this point on is completely gratuitous and you have to justify spending the money to yourself.

Pretty sure track guys run stock rears with ~350mm fronts, so don't upgrade the rears until you're running something seriously big up front. If they're not pretty enough paint the callipers...With grippy tyres the rear gets unloaded more than with street tyres.

Failure modes are: pads overheat or fluid boils. Can you describe in more detail what you mean by "soften up".

EBC reds are a crossover pad, so almost certainly wont cut it at the track. What's the boiling point of the brake fluid? Dot 4 spec is only 230 degrees. Nulon xtreme will do 280, then Motuls to 320+. Did you do a full flush or just a bleed?

tl:dr pads are too conservative, if the fluid is anything less than 280 then swap it for nulon xtreme (since its cheap) and go from there.

If you are going to get Brembos for the front presumably they will be off a GTR so you would use the 324mm rotors as well. How did you manage to spend $1000 on GTT brakes? Was that for front and rear and some exotic pads or did you get expensive aftermarket rotors?

If you were using Castrol SRF racing brake fluid that is almost as good as Motul so probably not the problem (if you filled the system with fresh fluid and bled it adequately).

Seems likely poor pads were to blame.

If you want to splash out on bigger brakes still a set of D2 330mm rotors 8 pot calipers (sold under other names as well) with Pagid pads and 2 pot GTR brakes on the rear pulled up my big heavy Stagea lap after lap with no fade.

It's still not entirely clear to me what OP is after with his brakes.

If you're after performance not looks, here's what you can do to improve stock GTT brakes for $1,000, it's quite a lot: http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/448613-r34-gtt-brake-improvement-without-breaking-the-bank/

Just in case anyone else is looking to do this, here's the cost breakdown including delivery (late 2014):

• $662 - DBA T3 4000 Club Spec slotted rotors (Vic Performance Parts on eBay)
  • $164 - Remsa pads (GSL RallySport)
  • $178.45 - HEL braided lines (HEL on eBay)
  • $70 - Brake master cylinder stopper (Gumtree)
  • $17.96 - 2 x Nulon Xtreme Performance Super Dot 4 fluid (SuperCheap Auto)

Total $1,092.41 plus labour to fit braided lines and change fluid (I wanted to leave that to the experts). Not too bad for brake improvement on a budget.

Red stuff are probably fine, they're just not suited to your use case. Yellows are the next step up for EBC, but to me they seem about the same as the crossover QFM A1RMs, so still not a track pad. Last time i checked the yellows were AU$308, A1RMs were AU$180, so EBC are poor value.