SAU Community

Spherical Bearings In Knuckles

Been recently reading on replacement of rubber bushes in knuckles with spherical

Obviously benefits being less movement etc etc ..insert technical term here...

Has anyone done this with any feedback ? if so any info on kits and where to get etc

Im running r32 gtst with std knuckles / uprights I can only see stuff for z32 / gtr rear knuckles / uprights on SPL website

bonus question Ive talked to a few guys with s13/14 racecars that have replaced rear knuckles with GTR uprights - 2kg less sprung weight a side + added sphericals - obviously a lot of messing around but has anyone gone to this level ? just interested

Edited by bcozican

I think your terminology might need straightening out. The locations where you would replace original rubber bushes with spherical bearings are in the ends of the various suspension arms, not the knuckles. Sure, the outer ends of each of those arms are connected to the knuckles by those bushes/bearings, but the knuckle doesn't care - the bushes belong to the arms.

Any front upper arm for a Z32 will fit an R32.

Any rear arm for R32 is generally common with S13 and Z32.

Spherical bearings on suspension arms remove almost all the slop in the bushes and so will tend to make the suspension a lot more accurate and precise. Also rougher riding and noisier. Also illegal on the road, although arguably it is the adjustable length of those arms that should be what the popo/rta should be upset about. Anyway, you will get in trouble for them if caught with them. They also have a relatively short life, being a metal on metal wearing surface with dirt and water in close proximity.

As to GTR rear uprights.....usually done as a complete GTR rear end transplant, involving the diff and big 6 bolt driveshafts. Doesn't really offer any benefit beyond the weight saving you're already aware of and the GTR diff/shafts package that comes with.

Sorry I should have elaborate a bit more

This is for track only, I have all adj arms yes and its for the rear knuckles

I was referring to the bushes in the knuckle being replaced, as per pic. So basically it would reduce the slack / give on the knuckle side of the arm just reducing another lot of movement in the suspension setup

Can see the S13/ 14 and GTR kits here

I will have to have a measure etc to see if the s13 kits are the size size as what in the std r32 gtst rear knuckle

For some reason my computer is being full tard so I cant copy the link in but www.splparts.com has them

post-41809-0-01243400-1466120273_thumb.jpg

Edited by bcozican

Ah, yep, with you now. I replaced those with urethane on mine, which is better than rubber and not as rough and noisy as steel. Steel is obviously the far extreme of what's possible.

Worth doing for a track car, I'm sure.

Another thought on the topic of R32 GTR rear uprights. Change to them and you change your damper lower connection type too. Means mo' money!

Thanks yeop might investigate the ability to get the sphericals into the rear and give it a go - wouldn't think they last too long but you never know until its tried I spose

yeah GTR knuckles require changing to forked bottom mount on new MCA coils ...hmmmm

might end up being too much coin and messing around .. the appeal of reducing unsprung weight for 4 kgs is high though

R34 GTT rear knuckles are also aluminium alloy with the same forked shock mount. However they come with the smaller driveshaft spline I believe. I am using these with 3x2 bolt driveshafts.