SAU Community

2016 Leyburn Sprints

By all accounts it's a good event. Along with a few others in the surrounding districts, Pittsworth, Oakey and Gatton come to mind.

Pretty social, and enough opportunity to have a crack.

• Like 1

I haven't looked at the classes for this event, but the great thing about skylines are they are eligible for both group 2(sports cars) and 3(touring cars) because of the combination of 2 doors and a long cabin. I've run the GTR as a sports car a few times and I'm almost certain Neil is running his as a sports car in hillclimbs too.

It's more of an Historic event. They'll probably put you in the "Invited" class if they accept the entry.

I've only done it once back when I had a 1200 coupe, probably 15 years ago. Course has changed a few times over the years, but it's always 90 deg corners, short straights and hay bale chicanes/barriers. These street sprint events are very popular up here, but they're not my cup of tea.

Highlight is the pub!

Thanks boy's for the input.

Dale it sounds like a great bit of fun and so far everybody we have talked to have been super friendly.

Charles I have no idea, only what I've seen on you tube. Track walk will be in order.

Duncan's right, Skylines can enter heaps of different classes. I run 2A at every hillclimb including National events.

Harry I don't care where they put me, I'm entering for the fun of it and for once I don't care where I place. Mind you there shall be no holding back though.

Cheers gents

\

Neil.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got my acceptance today,,,Yea.

Few little issues that I'm sure will be ironed out,

1/ No one can pronounce or spell my cool French surname.

2/ Apparently I'm a Qlder. f**kthat I'm a bloody cockroach.

3/ Just a little typo error, seems I race a Skyline E33 GTS-T

4/ They have put me in with a pile of 4wd's, I have suggested I should be in 2A or 2B or even  Modern sports over 2000cc, Will be interesting to see where I end up.

Not that I really care, but I have no chance against cheater cars and it would be nice to give me at least a fighting chance.

My god there are a ton of cars entered,,, 213 by my count is a shit load, hope these guys are organized.

Still should be a load of fun.

Cheers

Neil.

• 3 weeks later...

2 more sleeps before we are off on our QLD adventure. I have no garage at the moment so on Sunday we packed Cheryl up and headed for an industrial estate. Serviced the trailer and gave the old girl a good look over. Hopefully she runs properly. I did buy another set of tyres, gone wider this time from Hankook 235's to 255's and managed to bed them in while we were there. Funny enough we made friends with the security guard and he didn't care less about me doing a few laps to bed the tyres in. We even gave her a wash while we were at it. It will be great to catch up with some of my old QLD hillclimbing mates. I'm very excited.

Cheers

Neil.

14 hours ago, JAS-25T said:

Go hard Neil!

have fun and beat those banana benders

Shall try to do all the above buddy.

All packed and out of  here at sparrow fart in the morning.

Cheers

Neil.

• Like 2

Looks like I'm gonna have a mad time.

They are very organized up here, which was a pleasant surprise.

I ran into quite a few guys that I knew, lots of old acquaintances from years of hillclimbing and funny enough some old supersprint guys. My god I even made some new friends,,, see I'm not always the grumpy old bastard.

I did 4 laps in the Patrol, just to work out which way to go, so I don't embarrass myself, can't work out lines yet as they put chicanes in tomorrow.

My god it was a long haul up here, don't anybody ever tell me NSW roads are shit,,, QLD roads are worse, Didn't matter though, the Patrol did it easy as usual.

Till tomorrow

Cheers

Neil.

Absolutely had a ball this weekend. Everybody was extremely friendly to both Mel and I. Nothing we asked was too much trouble, This would have to be the best run event I have ever participated in, I can't recommend it more highly. Harry 15 years ago is a long time to judge an event,,, Cheryl was welcomed with open arms,,, everybody loved her, while it's primarily a vintage event there were tons of later model cars. We will certainly be going again in 2017.

I ended up coming 3rd in class, which by my standards is only a pass mark, but I did get beaten by 2 very quick cars, so I can live with it.

20160821_164111.thumb.jpg.4ea88760f5ad388129d105efcf752197.jpg

Nice wooden trophy,,, they usually are rock but they didn't have enough.

20160821_124444.thumb.jpg.00ea0b36433b12fb1511e2ba482b0fbb.jpg

2 very cool Rotaries. Loud beautiful buggers.

20160820_123015.thumb.jpg.1fd61f052ae9f5b4ccd1e6d51ad3be58.jpg

They had a vintage caravan display... Here's just one.

Cheers

Neil

20160821_164111.jpg

20160821_124444.jpg

20160820_123015.jpg

• Like 1

hehe that BMW 135 is a bit quick... he's the one who broke my record at Mt Cotton.

Yes,15yrs is a long time, but I bet it's still a bunch of slow 90 deg corners and short straights with hay bale chicanes/barriers - that's still not my cup of tea no matter how many years have passed. But like I said these events are very popular, so obviously not everyone agrees with my critique of the track ;) 

Well done Neil!

I've heard it described as a social weekend with a bit of motorsport thrown in.  Entry numbers definitely point to the popularity of this format, need to get along and check things out.  Pity it was the weekend straight after QSSS; time is always hard to find.