SAU Community

Cam Selection for Rb26

vito_96

ValveTrain for 20psi +

Hello Everyone 

Currently I am building a Rb26 with spool rod, weisco piston (87mm), N1 oil pump with Spool Spline drive kit, ID1000, T04z, PowerFC D-Jetro.....Ect. This will mostly used for the street, some track days and if i am able to get anywhere from 550 to 600whp I will be happy.  

I am at the part of the build where I want to do some head work as they head will be off the block,. I had purchased new valve seats, guides and valve springs. However I think i may have shot my self in the foot and purchased the wrong spec valve springs. 

I had picked up the following 

Supertech Dual Valve Springs Kit RB26DETT 232 lbs

Dual Valve Spring Kit
  • TYPE: Dual Spring
  • PRESS.SEAT: 92 @ 40.70mm Intake
  • MAX LIFT: 15.30mm
  • COIL BIND: 24.70mm
  • RATE: 12.50 lbs/mm
  • RETAINER: RET-NRB60/T1
  • PRESS.SEAT: 82 @40.70mm Exhaust
  • SEAT LOCATOR : USE OEM
  • SPRING : SPR-M1007D/RB

Now i am on the hunt for cams.... can anyone please guide me in the right direction for Cam Selection. I am looking for something with low to mid range as I am not increasing the displacement by much going form 86mm to 87mm piston. I will be keeping the revs to below between 8000-9000. 

I have looked at the Tomei, Crower and kelford as they all make cams for the rb26, however they all seem to be in different units or display the cam spec card differently, it seems that the coil bind for these springs is lower then all Tomei's cams.... ( unless i am reading it wrong ) 

Any help is much appreciated 

Thank you :D

Rob 

Edited by vito_96

Um......max lift on those springs is like 15mm.  max lift you will see on ANY cam that you would throw into an RB26 is maybe 12mm.  Almost all the cams you will be choosing from are <11mm.

Also, there has been about 20 years of cam discussion for RB26s on this forum, and several in the last month that are pertinent.  Worth a search.

Ring Cam Tech, they will make you what ever you want. 

I just got, some 265dur 10.8mm lift cams and a dual spring package to suit. 

Just remember, for the street - you dont want some massive 280-290 deg cams, it will be a pig to drive. 

Unigroup in NSW makes a 260x11 cam which i have in my car... haven't turned it on yet so can't really say much at this stage however.

Getting smaller than 260 with high duration is hard form camtech/kelfords etc though there's always Mines super pro cam's but that's a 3000 buck exercise