SAU Community

Small upgrades on a r34

Hudson

Small upgrades on a r34

Hey guys! i have recently just bought a 4 door R34 Skyline that is turbo. this car has a automatic transmission and has done roughly 210kms.. as this being my first car, i have a few questions about the car that i would love to be answered! 

Pros and Cons about the car apart from it being a auto xD (Reason to it being auto i bought this car for really cheap so it was hard to say no to such a pretty car) 

Main things that are important to know about owning a Skyline

What small modifications would you recommend having? and why? 

I was also thinking of buying a blow off valve for her as i have heard that its healthier for the turbo

Thank you for your time :)

- Hudson

Congratulations on your buy.

The search button is your friend, this has be covered countless times.

First "modification" should always be a complete service of the car. All fluids, filters, plugs.

Following that, brakes, suspension and tyres, spend decent money here, as it literally is the difference between life and death.

Free that you can start playing around with power upgrades. Boost control, turbos, fuel system, ECU ect ect.

You car has a 'BOV' from factory, they can handle decent power before they start bypassing, no point upgrading unless it is leaking at this point in time.

• Like 2

Heaps. Over $1000 if you do the cambelt and water pump. That's why its a good idea to do it your self. You can do things one at a time to save money and learn as you go - there are tutorials for most things. Do the easy things first - like engine oil and filter, spark plugs, cleaning the coils, checking the brakes etc.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hudson said:

Thank you very much!
and roughly around how much does it cost to fully service your car?

Buy all the components yourself, that way you know exactly what you have in the car. I personally run Penrite Oils throughout, for all the oils and relevant filters it will set you back around $250, $100-$150 in labour if you take it to a mechanic to do it for you. or if your handy on the tools you will be able to knock it out.

The spark plugs are a bit dearer the will be close to $100 for the set, also a relatively easy job to tackle yourself.

With the Km's on the car i would assume that you checked that it had the timing belt done at the 200,000 mark as these need to be replaced every 100,000.

If it hasn't been done i would advise to do the water pump as well, unless you have had experience working on cars, this one is best left to the mechanics, parts and labour for this job will be around the $500 mark.

okay cool, the previous owner had it imported and looked after it and just wanted to get rid of it, so she's in good condition for the amount of kms..
well that's what i think ahha
but thanks for that :)

There should be a sticker under your bonnet somewhere with when the timing belt was last done, either on the timing cover, rad support, firewall, or strut towers.

If you can't find one, it's recommended that you get the belt replaced, if it lets go it will cost you an engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys just some info about timing belts don't be thinking that your timing belt will do 100,000 ks from a new install, maybe the nissan factory belt will at a granny pace but after market belts are only warrented to 40,000 or50,000 or 60,000 ks just depends on the manufactuter read the fine print or go to there web site and find it....Remember a timing belt replacement is better than a topend rebuild or a major blow up>>>>>>>>>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gazz1991 said:

Hi guys just some info about timing belts don't be thinking that your timing belt will do 100,000 ks from a new install, maybe the nissan factory belt will at a granny pace but after market belts are only warrented to 40,000 or50,000 or 60,000 ks just depends on the manufactuter read the fine print or go to there web site and find it....Remember a timing belt replacement is better than a topend rebuild or a major blow up>>>>>>>>>

Surely the moral of this story is use OEM belts!

2 hours ago, gazz1991 said:

not to sure where you get your "information" from, both Dayco and Gates give a 100,000km warranty on their timing belts, and bosch offer 100,000km warranty on their high temperature timing belt