SAU Community

rb26 inlet valve stem discolouration/damage?

shaund

rb26 inlet valve stem discolouration/damage?

Hi All,

I've just removed my inlet manifold to have it painted and noticed that the two inlet valves in cyl 3 have some discolouration on the valve stems immediately below the valve guides. Is this normal, or should I be looking at replacing valves, guides, and seals?

This is an R33 GTR motor that is stock (except for cams and a little extra boost) and in otherwise good order and showing nothing as wrong in its performance or behaviour.

I've yet to turn the motor over and inspect the rest of the valves when they are extended. Motor is at TDC on cyl1, so these are the only inlet valves extended.

Photo is here: http://imgur.com/ZcPIgmp

Cheers!

-Shaun

I suspect the flash/light may be making them look worse than they are?

Obviously they are going to wear there as that's where they run in the guides, so I wouldnt be too concerned, but its hard to tell from that photo. You need to get a photo without a flash or a light that doesnt shine back so much

Thanks... Nah, they look pretty much as per the photo... there is a bit of a shadow, but its not making things look any worse than it really is.

I'll try to get some better photos on the weekend... I want to have a good look at the rest of the valve stems for both inlet and exhaust.

Cheers!

-Shaun