SAU Community

Clutch bite point suddenly changed.

Clutch bite point suddenly changed.

Hey Guys and Girls.

So i drove my car home from work and was working perfectly fine. got in the car a couple hours later to go for a drive, and all of a sudden the clutch bite had gone to the very bottom of the pedal. with the clutch fully pressed it if i left my foot out what feels about 1-2 cm the clutch is biting.

i checked were the pedal is on the push rod and it is as far back as possible. The master cylinder looks full.

any ideas on what it could be ??  is my clutch screwed ?? or the something wrong with the master cylinder ?  since I've owned the car if you sit in neutral with the clutch pedal out there is a slight spinning noise from the gearbox but goes away when the pedal is pressed in, not sure if that has something to do with it.

Cheers in advance :)

19 minutes ago, Kinks said:

bite point change means clutch pivot bolt may have failed.  common thing.  search for it

slight noise with clutch out is normal

If the clutch pivot bolt failed would i lose the clutch 100% ?? because i can still just change gears.

Clutch diagnostics 101.

If hydraulic failure, then pushing pedal 100% will result in much smaller action of slave rod than expected.  Unable to tell you which end of the hydraulics is failed across the internet.

If pivot ball failure, then pushing pedal 100% will result in satisfactory extension of slave rod, however the gubbins inside the bellhousing won't wangle the action as much as it should.

5 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Clutch diagnostics 101.

If hydraulic failure, then pushing pedal 100% will result in much smaller action of slave rod than expected.  Unable to tell you which end of the hydraulics is failed across the internet.

If pivot ball failure, then pushing pedal 100% will result in satisfactory extension of slave rod, however the gubbins inside the bellhousing won't wangle the action as much as it should.

makes sense, i'll get under the car tomorrow and have a look.

how much travel should there be with the slave rod ??

Got under the car to have a look at the gearbox to see how much the slave cylinder is moving the when the clutch is pressed in.

here is a video off it.

Thinking the problem might be inside the box, as the slave cylinder seems to be moving enough.

but when taking the slave cylinder off, was able to move the end of the fork back towards the rear of the car about a couple of cm's. so where it is sitting at the start of the video the rod from the slave cylinder could still be pressed back into the slave cylinder more.

should the slave cylinder be compressed back into it self more or ??

• 4 weeks later...