SAU Community

List of common Illegal Mods

Peeps,

This post is very similar to the one about boost gauge but I am interested in everyones knowlege about what kind of mods are cnsidered illegal. I understand that each state is different but your opinions/knowledge and experiences will hopefully help me(and maybe others) keep defect stickers off our cars LOL...

B :wassup:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everything!!! lol

if it didnt come out of the dealers lot fitted then its not supposed to be there

it all depeds how picky they want to be

pods

intercoolers

bov's

ecu's

exhausts

fuzzy dice

steering wheels

gearknobs

pedals

windscreen wipers and washers

gauges

boost controllers

turbo timers

wheels

springs

tint

alright i might be exaggerating a little... or am I?

I found a link on vicroads website once (by accident) on all things which can make a vehicle defective.. resulting in a nice little yellow sticker for your windscreen.

Some of these include..

Atmospheric bov - has to be a plumbed back system.

boost controllers - illegal

pod filters must be firmly secured.

theres so many things they can get you on.. just the fact that mods would make the car non-standard they can get you on.

I'll keep you guys posted if I come across that link with illegal mods.

Ok, im not much of a fan of Blow Off Valves but where in the ADRs or in that vic road site does it actually say they are illegal? If you get defected then sure get your car back to "standard" for the pits to be on the safe side but when you're at the pits ask for the legislation that says your car would have been defective. A lot of the time you'll just get an answer like "It just is", thats not good enough. I know a few guys over here in WA who have atmospheric BOVs permitted even though they were initially told they're illegal.

Also when a cop wrongly defects your car and its cleared at the pits, dont just let it go, write a "polite" letter to the police commissioner or ombudsman(sp), telling them of the situation and asking why are their police enforcing a law they know nothing about. If they dont write back, send another letter, phone them up, hassle the sh!t out of them, god knows they do it to us!

My 2c

There are a lot of reasons, some of them made up..

Cant adjust power inside the car while its in motion (as opposed to the accelerator!), Increases the emissions

Distracting to the driver

But it depends on the state, for example i have my car in getting complied at the moment WITH THE BOOST CONTROLLER ON IT! Apparently because the EBC is in the glove box its out of the drivers field of view and so no worries! Its also got a Mines ECU... no problems either...

Atmospheric bov - has to be a plumbed back system.

pod filters must be firmly secured.

Well i know for a fact that these 2 can have a permit made for them because i have one for them. And my BOV does make noise but its the way it was fitted can't remeber the technical of it but its not emiting into the atmosphere.

I also have a permit for the my aftermarket rims.

Just depends how much a pricks the cops want to be or the guy at the compliance centre in terms of you getting done for something illegal.

Only things i know that there is no compliance and full illegal is LED lights on the bottom and hydraulic kit. Go Latino Heat.

Ok, im not much of a fan of Blow Off Valves but where in the ADRs or in that vic road site does it actually say they are illegal?

Did you read this bit?

Basically it says if it's not on the list, then it's not a legal modification.

Modifications made in accordance with this Guide are considered to be approved modifications. However, where this guide requires the modification to be the subject of an Approval Certificate, the modification is not approved until the Approval Certificate has been accepted by VicRoads. In addition, any modification not included in this Guide will generally require an Approval Certificate.

Ah yes i see, just skimmed through that bit and went straight to the list of approved modifications, again what i love about this whole law schamozzle. So basically if you can find one of these VASS guys who can say your modifications are safe and emissions friendly then you're fine...?? Anyone dealt with them at all? Over here its easy to get stuff across the pits but then again, its WA.

But it depends on the state, for example i have my car in getting complied at the moment WITH THE BOOST CONTROLLER ON IT!  Apparently because the EBC is in the glove box its out of the drivers field of view and so no worries!  Its also got a Mines ECU... no problems either...

that doesnt mean anything. compliance engineers will pass pretty much anything. my car was done with big top mount turbo, let alone a small thing like a boost controller.

I think you misunderstood me aybee, im talking about a GTR R33 i just imported getting Australian complied with a few things that would be deemed "Illegal" let alone non standard. The guy is also taking it down to get registered as part of the deal?

i did understand you.

what im saying is that the engineers pass pretty much everything. most things on my car are illegal. compar your car passing with a bc, to my car getting passed with all the sh1t on it.

moral: just because it passes compliance doesnt make it legal, or any grounds to argue its legality.

and with the registration. when mine went through vicroads, the guy actually put his hand on the big top mount turbo when looking for the engine number. so he had no idea what he was looking for.

compliance and rego is fine. its the tmu that you have to worry about.

when I first bought my 33 a few years ago it passed through 2 victorian roadworthy's (second one done due to canary, too low. easy fix, adjustable suspension ;)) with the following mods on it

Pod filter (secured)

strut brace

FMIC

timer

EBC

3 guages

adjustable coilovers (that are super stiff)

2 way mechanical (locker) diff

17" mags 8"wide fronts an 9"wide rears

3" full exhaust system

aftermarket steering wheel

braided brake lines (with no little rubber boot things)

theres probably a few little things i left out....

I know in VIC atmos BOV are COMPLETELY unroadworthy (unless fitted from factory)

programably ECU's are unroadworthy i think that goes for piggy backs too.