SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

On 9/30/2023 at 6:16 AM, R3N3 said:

Yeah, I think they are bringing out a bigger display. I think a 10”??

the ability to programme the buttons on the display is pretty good too. 

Haltech had sent out a survey about a year ago. One of the questions was something along the lines of "What do you think of the name IC10 for our next display" So I also think a 10" screen is coming out next. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TurboTapin said:

Haltech had sent out a survey about a year ago. One of the questions was something along the lines of "What do you think of the name IC10 for our next display" So I also think a 10" screen is coming out next. 

just hope the housing isn't so ugly lol

5 hours ago, bcozican said:

would swap but already have skyline and in W.A 😅

M3.thumb.jpeg.6fe961f7ad264bcd6fac56a66417ed8e.jpeg

I hear you like roadtrips 😜
Buy a second one and leave there for Dose to look after it. Make it easy for you when come over, I am sure he will also baby it and not modify it............ 

5 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

sell your Skyline lol...

In white too, so hawt 😍

The white does look great especially with 5% tint

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

I am sure he will also baby it and not modify it............ 

Next car will stay stock, no more mods!

Meanwhile I'm looking at a new gear set before I hit up SMSP again. So far looks like PAR might be the way to go, Speedtek seems too hit or miss and can't find much feedback on OS Giken (quite appealing as the AUD to JPY is great, $1 buys 95 Yen).

Sigh, stupid money pit.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

can't find much feedback on OS Giken (quite appealing as the AUD to JPY is great, $1 buys 95 Yen).

Sigh, stupid money pit.

Good chance you’ll bust it (many gtr’s that have used this set have, including myself) gearing is tall as (140 kph at 8000 rpm assuming a 265/35x18 tyre and 4.11 final drive ratio). 5 speeds suck. 

You’d also need the updated synchros. 

It’s also common to have a 3rd gear vibration with these gear sets. Gtr.co.uk has a couple old threads on the topic.

Can’t put a CD009 in it?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Next car will stay stock, no more mods!

Meanwhile I'm looking at a new gear set before I hit up SMSP again. So far looks like PAR might be the way to go, Speedtek seems too hit or miss and can't find much feedback on OS Giken (quite appealing as the AUD to JPY is great, $1 buys 95 Yen).

Sigh, stupid money pit.

8hp70 with a decent sized cooler and enjoy carefree daily driver race car.

All I heard from both of you was put my old aero on the M3 and run clubsprint :221_see_no_evil:

Has tune n pipes bout 500hp for my wife and only does 4km a day school trips basically haha

i dont know how much they are anymore but I ran a ppg in 5 speed box in my skyline and held decent in sprints for 2 seasons at 600hp

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Piggaz said:

Good chance you’ll bust it (many gtr’s that have used this set have, including myself) gearing is tall as (140 kph at 8000 rpm assuming a 265/35x18 tyre and 4.11 final drive ratio). 5 speeds suck. 

You’d also need the updated synchros. 

It’s also common to have a 3rd gear vibration with these gear sets. Gtr.co.uk has a couple old threads on the topic.

Can’t put a CD009 in it?

The ratios actually would work better for me at SMSP, T2 & T8. In 3rd I'm just off the boost threshold, in 2nd I'm nearly out of RPM. With a taller 2nd, could take those two turns in 2nd.

Hmm.. now that you've mentioned it, you've grenaded your OS Giken box with less power back then.

CD009 requires too much stuffing about, will need to change the diff ratio too, need to massage tunnel, custom tailshaft, shifter relocation, etc.

12 hours ago, robbo_rb180 said:

8hp70 with a decent sized cooler and enjoy carefree daily driver race car.

The effort involved :( 

Ideally if time, money, space, hoist permits it would be perfect for me.

11 hours ago, bcozican said:

All I heard from both of you was put my old aero on the M3 and run clubsprint :221_see_no_evil:

Has tune n pipes bout 500hp for my wife and only does 4km a day school trips basically haha

i dont know how much they are anymore but I ran a ppg in 5 speed box in my skyline and held decent in sprints for 2 seasons at 600hp

Seems like PAR or PPG straight cut with synchro gearsets will suit my requirements. Don't want a dog box, as I prefer the safety of synchros in place so I don't money shift the car (and others that drive it).

Fk I hate this car. 

I would not consider changing the box until you know it will break (because you just broke it).

Frankly, it is not just about power and torque, the clutch and also user sympathy make a big difference in when it will break, and even a synchro straight cut box is a step backwards in usability (and, it is no faster and not much stronger than a factory synchro helical box)

• Like 1

The box is about to go bang any second now, I can't even shift into gear past 6k RPM, just grinds and won't go in, hence if you've watched any of my attempts at pretending I can drive at SMSP you'll notice the very slow shifts into gears and you'll notice I wait for the revs to drop a bit before grabbing the next gear.

People with less power have blown their box apart on the street, so I'm playing Russian Roulette with it on the track. Also I think the gearbox shop would prefer a core that doesn't have a minced up gearset inside :D 

e.g.

image.thumb.png.afdee51a504d88fa0eb28e4b11057696.png

Right, but that is a synchro issue which will not improve moving to a synchro straight cut box (other than the fact you would put new synchros in it). Smurf Blood is the usual way to cover up that issue in the interim (together with shifting a little more carefully/slowly).

Therefore, if your box needs a rebuild, rebuild it.

Ahh the old drive line bills. Shit gets very expensive very quickly 🤣

Fairly Oddparents Burn GIF

The thing about looking at the ratios and basing them around 2 corners on a track, it may potentially suck everywhere else, especially on the street. Those long ratios are painful.

If you’re going to do it, considering a 5 speed is crazy. They’re junk. A 6 speed “wakes the whole car up”. All of a sudden you have an option of two gears for a corner.

• Like 2

The straight cut box is purely from a strength perspective, as there's no price difference between helical vs. straight cut.

Synchros will need to be upgraded to the latest version found in the S3 GT-R  / R34 GT-t box, which makes shifting much easier at higher RPM :) 

Box already has Redline Shockproof in it lol...... 

Rebuilding it, won't fix the issue of the box going bang with the power/torque.

On 10/26/2023 at 9:59 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

The straight cut box is purely from a strength perspective, as there's no price difference between helical vs. straight cut.

Synchros will need to be upgraded to the latest version found in the S3 GT-R  / R34 GT-t box, which makes shifting much easier at higher RPM :) 

Box already has Redline Shockproof in it lol...... 

Rebuilding it, won't fix the issue of the box going bang with the power/torque.

Straight cut will make it less nice to drive on the street, and that is a big complaint of yours.

Other than the shifting, what other box issues do you have?

As Duncan said, that's purely a synchro issue.

Hard shifts is a huge killer of boxes, as well as not maintaining them, as it can allow a small amount of shaft play under high torque.

Clutch kicks and shit is also not user friendly on the box.

The other cars breaking boxes with the same power level, WHAT has broken in those boxes? Are they stripping teeth, snapping shafts, stripping the splines on the shafts?

And what were they doing when they did it?

Are you also talking GTST boxes doing kablamos, or GTR?

I run a r4c with a ppg gtr gearset in mine and it’s fine. Straight cut dog engagement on the street and track. Around town you just double clutch to stop the clunk. It holds the 540kw I feed it, you get used to it, guess it’s the price you pay  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MBS206 said:

Straight cut will make it less nice to drive on the street, and that is a big complaint of yours.

Other than the shifting, what other box issues do you have?

As Duncan said, that's purely a synchro issue.

Hard shifts is a huge killer of boxes, as well as not maintaining them, as it can allow a small amount of shaft play under high torque.

Clutch kicks and shit is also not user friendly on the box.

The other cars breaking boxes with the same power level, WHAT has broken in those boxes? Are they stripping teeth, snapping shafts, stripping the splines on the shafts?

And what were they doing when they did it?

Are you also talking GTST boxes doing kablamos, or GTR?

The engine torque my old girl made stripped the material on the teeth gears (case hardening????) and killed the syncros and other little bits in there, smurfs blood worked for a while, but in the end the box was painful to use

It was sent of for a full rebuild to "Award" I think 🤔, organised by UNIGROUP, for new springs, syncros, "things", gears and some internal baffling or something

All was well until I hit the circuit and drags a few times when it started not wanting to shift and making a slight "whining" sound, then after a few more hits at the strip on drag radials it was whining like ten whining things

Rinse and repeat, until it started to whine a little again, I then priced up the fix, better gears, syncos and things, which I couldn't really justify, I was recommended to drop the power down if I wanted the standard box to live if I didn't upgrade it all, I then proceed to dropped my showbags and sell the thing

The added torque the engine puts out from running "high power" and sticky tyres is far over what the box and its internal stuff are rated for

I just tried googling the torque limits for the RB boxes, but was unsuccessful, the best I could find was 600-700hpatw, so around 480-560 hpatw if you use a 20% drivetrain loss (rule of thumb)

My old 25/30 ended up making 500hpatw, that's when the gearbox hated life

IIRC, which isn't really likely, the GTR box is rated to 600 "ish" nm at the engine, a RB, with a good page up for boost, would easily be making over that

Again, IIRC, my 25/30 was making over 800nm atw around 4500rpm

Nissan did over engineer their boxes a bit, but not by that much

Are there any RB's out there making 500hpatw reliability that see the track or circuit?

It seems like a common reliability modification to build them with all the fancy stuff, or change the stock boxes out for a delicious shopping.jpeg-1.jpg.ad88c45df61ce99aac17a5f81ebf048a.jpg

or something when your making good power for circuit, or a slush box for the drags

I'm triggered now with all this talk about RB gearboxs and torque ratings, I'm going to light a candle and pray to the gods of "infernal combustion" for my 4l60e and half shafts, that are dealing with more torque than they should really see

Happy trails Dose

• Like 1