SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

14 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

This comment has kept me up at night (amongst other reasons).

Funny enough, old GReddy plenum instructions just stated to plumb it into the fitting I had initially chosen.

I was also thinking hard about it as there is no pressure differential under the head gasket.

I ran a hard line across the front of the block and into a 90deg in the bottom of the manifold.

received_875409411296955.thumb.jpeg.073819e334469a6b341d2c11f638d625.jpeg

received_519074130451271.thumb.jpeg.bbe93627b01b86a175c1d04d79db1011.jpeg

I wanted to go straight into the manifold where the elbow to the radiator outlet is, but I couldn't make anything that that was easily removable with the timing belt covers on.

I'm not 100% happy with the turbo end so I'll redo it before the front goes on.

• Like 1

@fletch rb30 looks good! If my motor wasn't in the car, or the timing belt was off, I would be redoing the hardline to run it in front of the motor like what you've done.

Another idea is to return it back to the thermostats housing, similar to how it's done on the RB26, could that be an option?

In a previous incarnation I ran it round the back and into the thermostat inlet teed into the heater return. It worked fine, but when I turned it off, I could hear it boiling and slugging etc.

I figured it would be good to try and get it towards the radiator and let convection cool it until it was the dame temp as everything else.

I thought rb26 had a nipple on the top hose fitting where both the turbo water returns went. I have seen people delete that with a rd28 outlet and run the turbo outlet straight to the radiator top tank.

• Like 1

It is in the top hose and not the bottom, that way it come straight out and into radiator rather then back into the engine 

Seems this is common on RB26

images.thumb.jpeg.100211de5d128ce054c77bdc2381ce55.jpeg

However makes more sense on the lower hose as it's cooler and will promote flow

And correction to my previous post about it being the RB26 thermostat, we can see that it's not in this photo 

If I could turn back time, I would tell my old self to strip the car when the last motor blew and go save for a bit more a M3 instead of blowing money respraying and building a new motor.

Stupid things you do when you're not thinking long term...

I run the turbo water return along the rail and into the tank of the radiator with a -6AN line. My radiator is a dual pass cross flow so it was easy to weld the fitting straight on there.

Also, it's a race car so zero f**ks given about heaters and so on.

In relation to buying an M3/GT3 instead of tipping money into an old shitbox, tell me about it! I do sort of worry that a modern super car would be too perfect so I keep digging a deeper hole with my R32 and stick my head in it!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Komdotkom said:

In relation to buying an M3/GT3 instead of tipping money into an old shitbox, tell me about it! I do sort of worry that a modern super car would be too perfect so I keep digging a deeper hole with my R32 and stick my head in it!

Lol... We are not normal.

If space, and finances weren't an issue, I would love to have both, a M3 and this R33 shit box. But the Matrix does not allow it.

Working from home, means clean filtered water, access to beer and opportunity to refresh the twin water filter in the kitchen.

I keep hearing Australian tap water is clean, good dis dat. Anyhow, these filters are less than 11 months old.

LHS is a 1 micron filter, RHS is a 0.5 micron, ignoring the RHS, the LHS one tells a very different story about how "clean" our tap water is.

PXL_20240722_062912702.thumb.jpg.842778da10c72ebd2fce26ff2ccdccb1.jpg

• Sad 1

"Clean" as in "low enough counts of coliform bacteria and other gut twisting nasties that you can drink it without fear of shitting your insides out afterwards.

Not necessarily "clean" as in "freshly melted off a virgin glacier that last saw open atmosphere sometime before the mammoths went extinct".

Adelaide has some of the "cleanest" water in Australia. By this I mean that our water traditionally made it to our reservoirs by trickling across cow paddocks and so the old engineers at the E&WS had to learn how to clean it good to make it safe to drink. Doesn't mean that it wasn't nasty tasting, hard as rocks and chock to the brim with chlorine.

By contrast, Sydney had it so good with water that original fell on pristine mountainsides that their water supply engineers never learnt how to scrub water properly and so for years and years there were Giardia outbreaks and the like, that only stopped when some E&WS engineers went across and taught them how to do it.

In some places, like Bunbury in SW WA, the water falls from the sky nearly every day, but still somehow manages to taste like it was filtered through some rusty steel wool. Safe to drink though - just nasty tasting.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Working from home, means clean filtered water, access to beer and opportunity to refresh the twin water filter in the kitchen.

I keep hearing Australian tap water is clean, good dis dat. Anyhow, these filters are less than 11 months old.

LHS is a 1 micron filter, RHS is a 0.5 micron, ignoring the RHS, the LHS one tells a very different story about how "clean" our tap water is.

PXL_20240722_062912702.thumb.jpg.842778da10c72ebd2fce26ff2ccdccb1.jpg

Yeah, we have a few filters too, the main one is the 4 stage I use for the aquarium water (yes, it gets better water than the people in the house). I'm always shocked when doing my 12 monthly replacements. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PranK said:

I'm always shocked when doing my 12 monthly replacements. 

I didn't expect it to be this dirty though!

57 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

By contrast, Sydney had it so good with water that original fell on pristine mountainsides that their water supply engineers never learnt how to scrub water properly and so for years and years there were Giardia outbreaks and the like, that only stopped when some E&WS engineers went across and taught them how to do it.

That I don't disagree, but it's the dirty and old pipe work it needs to travel though before reaching the tap for consumption.