SAU Community

Here's my situation.

I had to put a new clutch in my 33 gtst.

I have the front of the car on stands and the back on the ground. New clutch is in and alligned with tool supplied. I have a trolley jack at the front of the box and rear of the box.

As I'm trying to get the input shaft inside the clutch I'm just missing out (half of the input shaft). I can't go up with the box anymore cause it's hitting the tunnel (if I went up the input shaft would be in). I have rotated the box up so the stater part is towards the bonnet.

Anyone have any tricks of the trade or done this before to give some ideas?

Thanks

Do you have the front of the engine jacked up so the back is lowered? This helps with angle. Should allow you the room you need to get it in. If I'm having troubles I get someone to get inside the car and throw a rope or tie down around the back of the box and then remove the jack from the back of the box and get the person with the rope to adjust the angle as needed while you manhandle the box from below. It should go in the right side up. Good luck.

Don't forget to disconnect the exhaust or it will be trying to hold the engine straight. And drop the front subframe bolts down so the engine can tip back further. The input shaft can only ever go in when it is straight to the crank

Pig of a job with one person on the ground....going to need lots of patience

I havnt tried Adam. I plan to give it another crack tomorrow.

Cool, as stated above, patience is required. Everything has to be 100% lined up for it to go in and then it will pretty much just fall into place. If it won't go, step away for a while, clear your head and try again later.

Cool, as stated above, patience is required. Everything has to be 100% lined up for it to go in and then it will pretty much just fall into place. If it won't go, step away for a while, clear your head and try again later.

Where did you jack the motor up from exactly?

I put a block of wood under the front lip of the sump and jacked it from there.

I jacked the front of the motor up, input shaft went straight in!!!! (f**k yeah)
Then i was having trouble getting the splines to line up so I took the jack out of the motor and she went straight in!!

Thanks for your help!!!!!! (I'm so relieved)
  • Like 2

I jacked the front of the motor up, input shaft went straight in!!!! (f**k yeah)
Then i was having trouble getting the splines to line up so I took the jack out of the motor and she went straight in!!

Thanks for your help!!!!!! (I'm so relieved)

No probs mate, it's a great feeling when it finally goes in. Congrats on completing one of the worse diy jobs on your car. Enjoy the new clutch[emoji106]