SAU Community

Nitto nt01
Nitto nt01

Hi all I have a question to ask. Is nitto nt01 tyres street legal in NSW?

And if I have them on will RMS pass my vehicle for inspection?

Please can anyone advice who has gone through this.

Thanks

They are road (barely!) legal when brand new but will very quickly get down to the wear indicators on the tread.

If they are brand new you shouldn't get much grief over them but if they do raise eyebrows then expect to have the rest of the car gone over with a fine tooth comb...

Nitto "strongly recommends" that these are a dry weather competition tyre only, they are street legal in the sense that they are designed for being able to drive to the track without having to swap wheels / rubber but can be like iceskates in the wet. If you are worried about the inspection then a cheap set of Bridgestone RE003's (they are on sale - 4 for the price of 3 currently) or similar would be a great idea and you can get the NT01's swapped back on when you want the better grip after the inspection or when heading to the track.

Edited by baron_von_bootsector

Most cops will try and defect you, I had to explain to one these are race tyres and the tread was (at the time) still above the 1st indicator.
Note, with NT01 you can drive them past the tread, there's a 2nd indicator in the form of a circular indent.

They are road (barely!) legal when brand new but will very quickly get down to the wear indicators on the tread.

If they are brand new you shouldn't get much grief over them but if they do raise eyebrows then expect to have the rest of the car gone over with a fine tooth comb...

Nitto "strongly recommends" that these are a dry weather competition tyre only, they are street legal in the sense that they are designed for being able to drive to the track without having to swap wheels / rubber but can be like iceskates in the wet. If you are worried about the inspection then a cheap set of Bridgestone RE003's (they are on sale - 4 for the price of 3 currently) or similar would be a great idea and you can get the NT01's swapped back on when you want the better grip after the inspection or when heading to the track.

How many track days do you get out of them?

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 6:12 AM, baron_von_bootsector said:

Having habitually run R spec tyres on track in the wet I can tell you they are fine.  Faster than road tyres in fact.  So NFI where the ice skates thing comes from other than Nitto probably trying to cover their arses.

2 hours ago, djr81 said:

Having habitually run R spec tyres on track in the wet I can tell you they are fine.  Faster than road tyres in fact.  So NFI where the ice skates thing comes from other than Nitto probably trying to cover their arses.

My R888R's (successor to the R888, which is the same compound as the NT01 but different tread pattern) are pretty sketchy in the rain on the street. I certainly wouldn't recommend them as an all around street tyre despite being 'street legal'. Light drizzle is ok but proper rain and/or pooling water is a no-no.

I think it's different on the track where you can get some heat into them but cold R comps in heavy rain on the street are dangerous IMHO. This is based on my experience with this single tyre only, perhaps others fare better.

2 hours ago, djr81 said:

You have to remember that they are more than happy to recommend & sell you a set of wet race tyres as well. :) 

I am guessing that you are correct - they probably are trying to cover their butts from people who want to use them on the street too as they really are more than a bit of of a handful in the wet on craptastic public roads due to water pooling and massive quantities of contaminants (oil, diesel etc) that come up during wet weather. This combined with the random on road behaviour of overly caffeinated, distracted people participating in food/coffee/cigarette/phone juggling contests makes for some white knuckle moments when running track focused rubber.

Its sort of the same experience you'd have with really, really nasty cheap tyres but is made much more surprising as you get used to having amazing grip normally!