SAU Community

Thickest Oil for gearbox ??

Hey Guys and Girls,

so a little bit ago, i had the clutch replaced in my R34, since i got it back from the mechanic the gearbox has felt more clunky (changing to second when its cold sometimes is really hard, just feels like i can feel the gears clunking together). not sure as to what rating oil he has put in gearbox, so i want to change it to something i know is thicker.

what is the thickest oil ? or what oil would you recommend i put in it.

55 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Are you sure that you need thicker oil to solve this problem?

Yeah i think the thicker oil is going to make the box feel a little bit better for the mean time until i can get around to getting it rebuilt, a rebuild is gonna cost me at least 2k or more maybe. so in the mean time i was thinking thicker oil to make it feel a bit better and maybe damage it less ?? cause i can feel like the cogs hitting each other and i dont think that can be good for it.

57 minutes ago, Hadouken said:

Gtt or gtr?

Maybe you should ask him what he used. If your oil is to think then it will feel shit while the box is cold.

GTT, i will give him a phone call and ask him, before the clutch being replaced the gearbox didn't feel as bad as it does now. so im guessing the new oil is a bit thinner then the old oil.

I live in orange so winter is rather cold here, and if the box is a pain while cold in summer then i am guessing its going to be worse in winter here.

6 minutes ago, Hadouken said:

If you put thicker oil in your box will suffer even worse when cold!

Feeling the synchros is not a issue. If it's making noises then it's an issue.

Put redline in it if you think it needs a rebuild

Yeah i can feel the synchros, not making any bad noises tho, if i roll along in 3rd it seems like it is going to pop out of gear.

so avoid thicker oil then, shall do.

redline lightweight shockproof ??

also cheers for the advice :)

It may also simply be a clutch adjustment problem. I'd suggest talking to your mechanic to see what they think too. Depending on the exact clutch and pressure plate, and how your pedal is adjusted it could either be a pedal adjustment or thrust bearing carrier length issue.

And also ask exactly what oil they put in, and perhaps check the oil level (open the filler and see if you can touch fluid when you stick your finger in there).

Its very unlikely your gearbox suddenly developed an issue the day the clutch was changed....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Duncan said:

It may also simply be a clutch adjustment problem. I'd suggest talking to your mechanic to see what they think too. Depending on the exact clutch and pressure plate, and how your pedal is adjusted it could either be a pedal adjustment or thrust bearing carrier length issue.

And also ask exactly what oil they put in, and perhaps check the oil level (open the filler and see if you can touch fluid when you stick your finger in there).

Its very unlikely your gearbox suddenly developed an issue the day the clutch was changed....

I will check the oil level and go from there, and also ask him what oil he put in it.

i don't think it suddenly developed it, i think maybe the different oil made it feel bad and clunky, if that is possible ??

56 minutes ago, Dobz said:

^^ I agree with Duncan. Do you have to push the clutch solid to the floor to disengage it or change gears?

no the clutch disengages at top