SAU Community

Do i need to skim rotors?

Studs are cheap and easy to replace. Those in the picture look like they have advanced corrosion and aren't safe. 
Assuming you can get some wheel nuts on don't leave it too long.

Btw Just to confirm... its hub bolts right? Will 50mm bolts be sufficient?

The wheel studs fitted in the hub.

You need to buy OEM or matched aftermarket studs designed for your hub. Typically Unbrako brand are the best. They supply OEM.

The head has a spline on it which stops the stud from turning when you tighten the wheel nuts.

I just ran a quick search in this forum and found this tutorial. Best if you try to line up the head spline before pulling through.

7 hours ago, dbasteve said:

The wheel studs fitted in the hub.

You need to buy OEM or matched aftermarket studs designed for your hub. Typically Unbrako brand are the best. They supply OEM.

The head has a spline on it which stops the stud from turning when you tighten the wheel nuts.

I just ran a quick search in this forum and found this tutorial. Best if you try to line up the head spline before pulling through.

Does knocking the stud out with a hammer damage the wheel bearing, i.e, brinelling? was told by and old mechanic to use a puller/ pusher tool.

Edited by Missileman

Yep,

Best not to hit anything hard with a hammer. If they don't come out with a light tap then unbolt the hub assembly and find a press. A simple hand operated press is good, so you don't apply too much pressure. Its only the high points of the spline that are engaged so unless rust has really taken over you'll be fine.

Missileman (Mike) you're right. Heavy handed effort with a hammer can hob (brinnell) the bearing race. A tap tap versus bang bang. lol