SAU Community

E85 Fuel Consumption

1 hour ago, ActionDan said:

Well seems my car is about on par with what everyone else is seeing so fair enough. Will just have to run 98 for the longer cruises. 

I'll just have to put a big fuel cell in the boot for some extra capacity lol

I used 50L on Saturday on 98 (150kms)....

Used a lot of 3rd gear (5-6K rpm up and over the hill and back)...

1 minute ago, ActionDan said:

Really? that's way more than I expected? That would be about what I used? 

Yep - I filled it with Shell 98 on the way out  and less than 1/8th of a tank left.  Haven't refilled to verify- but given it takes a bit over 60L - 50L is what I would expect.

I was probably working harder in the rev range to keep up....

My 25det neo with ~380 kw to wheel

Driving from perth to albany, i got about 450 km to a tank, on the light, maybe could have squeezed another 10 or so ks out of it.

No narrowband or wideband hooked into ecu/tune.

I think thats pretty good haha.

Bigger turbo with generally softer response sub 3000rpm and less restrictive turbine can all contribute to fairly respectable fuel consumption in those conditions, for sure.  I agree with Jared, pretty good result when you think what it does when the taps are opened.

4 hours ago, jay-rod said:

My 25det neo with ~380 kw to wheel

Driving from perth to albany, i got about 450 km to a tank, on the light, maybe could have squeezed another 10 or so ks out of it.

No narrowband or wideband hooked into ecu/tune.

I think thats pretty good haha.

was suprised to see Albany had E85. was expecting you guys to bring 20 jerry can each but was suprisingly few there.Now just need it in Bunbury!!

Yeh was great having a town with 85 :)

Everyone knew that albany had 85 in prep for racewars.
( maybe the sponsorship from united helped make that possible ? )

But i think i get about ~300-350 on normal driving in perth.

Try and keep your tank floating around 40-50% range if you are doing a lot of road use, tends to have a good amount of the ethanol benefit but quite significantly better economy.

15 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Interesting. I've just been putting straight United Race Blend in it, though I notice the sensor never reads above 80% despite my testing showing 90+ with the basic water/shake in tube tester. 

Same, sensor tends to read around 79-80% (genuine gm continental). Only ever diluted it with 98 once, took ages to get back up to 79-80%

Yeah, if you run flex then it's really hard to get up to >80% if you aren't using straight ethanol - which means that it's also not too hard to keep it floating around 50-60% if you occasionally top up with a bit of petrol.