SAU Community

Using aux input for obd2 diagnostic?

Using aux input for obd2 diagnostic

Hi guys, I have been researching on this site, and have gotten a few plans, but I'm just not sure if it will work.

Will it be possible to connect an obd2 link (thinking HKS OB-LINK) with an android device, and use Torque app to display the information? 

Then run that through the aux input of the navigation system to come through the popup screen, as I would rather use it for diagnostics then something as basic as fuel economy.

I am looking for an end result like the picture attached (from an r35)

Thanks

Lachlan

imageproxy.jpg

Edited by Lachlan S

Sure thing. Get the appropriate cable that will plug into your phone's USB to provide you with the respective composite video output and away you go. It won't look as clean and sharp as the real graphics you get from your system (or an R35) but it'll be functional. The trick will be to ensure that the phone itself will mirror the screen via the cable and not only work when you're playing videos, for example. I doubt that will be the case but it's still something you'll need to test. I know my Samsung Note4 works fine in this manner, using an MHL cable which has the USB connector for charging as well as the RCA outputs (eBay job).

Edited by The Max

Your big problem is that almost nothing will talk to the ODBII in our V35s. I am not sure anyone ever has gotten any meaningful data out of our hybrid Canbus/OBDII setup. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Getting the data/display into the factory screen is easy - the amp in the boot has an aux in (that I currently use for DTV).

1 minute ago, The Max said:

Sure thing. Get the appropriate cable that will plug into your phone's USB to provide you with the respective composite video output and away you go. It won't look as clean and sharp as the real graphics you get from your system (or an R35) but it'll be functional.

Ahh thanks, i think ill grab a cheap android (all i need it to do is receive info and display the torque app), and use the composite video. Is there any examples of people doing this before?

1 minute ago, Nightcrawler said:

Your big problem is that almost nothing will talk to the ODBII in our V35s. I am not sure anyone ever has gotten any meaningful data out of our hybrid Canbus/OBDII setup. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Getting the data/display into the factory screen is easy - the amp in the boot has an aux in (that I currently use for DTV).

Ah really? Damn, I think I heard of some and the OB-LINK 2 says its compatible but I'm honestly not too sure.

How does your DTV input work?

Yeah they all say they are compatible with G35s, but their wiring setup is somewhat different to our Jp V35s.

The DTV is just plugged into the AV in for the screen/amp setup in the boot.

10 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Yeah they all say they are compatible with G35s, but their wiring setup is somewhat different to our Jp V35s.

The DTV is just plugged into the AV in for the screen/amp setup in the boot.

On their website it said nissan v35 with the coupe chassis code. Some people on this website said they had it one theirs, shouldn't it be the same for all jap v35s?

Try and find proof of someone using one and getting all the OBD data to work with Torque.

Hundreds of people have tried hundreds of OBD devices (I tried a couple of different ones many years ago - none worked). If it were as easy as you say, EVERYONE would have one in their V35s.

That said, these HKS units do look good and are fairly recent maybe they will work?

But go ahead - buy all the bits, and if you can get it all to work I will applaud you and follow the exact same route :) Let us know how you go!

8 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Try and find proof of someone using one and getting all the OBD data to work with Torque.

Hundreds of people have tried hundreds of OBD devices (I tried a couple of different ones many years ago - none worked). If it were as easy as you say, EVERYONE would have one in their V35s.

That said, these HKS units do look good and are fairly recent maybe they will work?

But go ahead - buy all the bits, and if you can get it all to work I will applaud you and follow the exact same route :) Let us know how you go!

Thank you, ill keep digging and let you know how i go.

23 minutes ago, Lachlan S said:

Ah really? Damn, I think I heard of some and the OB-LINK 2 says its compatible but I'm honestly not too sure.

The only compatibility issue will be with the connector. Essentially, there are two global standards for OBD-II connectivity, though those standards aren't absolute for all and some manufacturer discretion is allowed beyond the basics.

However, it surprises me to hear that a manufacturer would alter their OBD-II connectivity between a USDM and JDM variant of their vehicles. It makes no sense, as that would suggest that my Consult III+ scan tool is made for a specific region, which they're not.

Grow some nuts, take a gamble and test the theory. Someone always has to be the guinea pig, no matter how well researched they are to minimise the loss! ;)

2 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

But go ahead - buy all the bits, and if you can get it all to work I will applaud you and follow the exact same route Let us know how you go!

Torque may not work. I have hobdrive working in my M35 stagea. I just checked in the pre defined vehicle settings and it lists 2001 v35 skyline. You can download the demo version for free to check if it works. May or may not. I use a vlink elm adaptor thing plugged into the obd port and connect to it via wifi. 

On 28/04/2017 at 2:06 PM, admS15 said:

Torque may not work. I have hobdrive working in my M35 stagea. I just checked in the pre defined vehicle settings and it lists 2001 v35 skyline. You can download the demo version for free to check if it works. May or may not. I use a vlink elm adaptor thing plugged into the obd port and connect to it via wifi. 

Which vlink adaptor do you use? Do you have a link to it?

also, do you have pics of your setup?