SAU Community

Camshaft selection for a 1000hp RB26/30.

Just to clarify - and sorry if this is kind of OT, when you say "1000hp" I'm assuming you mean at the fly wheel?   A GTX4294R sits in a weird place between being arguably quite a bit too small for 1000hp @ wheels on a Dyno Dynamics, and there being much smaller/more responsive turbos that would go past that power at the crank as well.
I'm assuming that the actual aim is to run to the limit of the GTX4294R?

100% correct.

I see and hear all sorts of figures. From 650hp all out to 1100hp. I am sure it will be stupid fast no matter what.

On 5/12/2017 at 4:04 AM, Piggaz said:

Considering the "relatively low" RPM limit here which is 8000RPM, would it need a 270/280/290 degree shaft? A GTX 4294 is no GTX55 or something outrageous.

Considering it's a street car, I'd err on the side of "less is more" here if idle quality and all the rest of the things that make a nice streeter is important.

Exactly..put some 260s somethings in it..and enjoy the f**kin thing...

• Like 2

On 5/12/2017 at 11:51 AM, SimonR32 said:

I have some Kelford split duration 274's that were a bit too big for my set up but perfect for yours if you are interested?

were they the 182-S cams (274/10.8mm)?

Im interested in what you mean by too big, as in the powerband was a bit too late for the turbo you were running? i cant remember if you've got a 6262 or 6466?

JHH and kelford recommended them to me running a 2.6L with an 8374 on E85. 

5 hours ago, burn4005 said:

were they the 182-S cams (274/10.8mm)?

Im interested in what you mean by too big, as in the powerband was a bit too late for the turbo you were running? i cant remember if you've got a 6262 or 6466?

JHH and kelford recommended them to me running a 2.6L with an 8374 on E85. 

Yes 182-S

Power band shifter too far right for me, I really want/need down low grunt for the kind of track and sprint work I do, it's a 6262.

8374 is similar sized to my 6262 from most accounts so I'd personally be going smaller duration (I've now got 260's but haven't tuned it yet to see if there is a big improvment) 

If you do decide to go the 182-S let me know because you will be able to save a few hundred buying from me :)

3 hours ago, burn4005 said:

Will keep that in mind, thanks Simon

currently running 260/9.15 poncams so will see how they go before doing anything drastic.

You're in luck as I've actually done a direct back to back with Type-B poncams and 182S

Same response but 690 vs 750 hp at high boost... 182S made same power and response with 0.4bar less boost

51 minutes ago, SimonR32 said:

You're in luck as I've actually done a direct back to back with Type-B poncams and 182S

Same response but 690 vs 750 hp at high boost... 182S made same power and response with 0.4bar less boost

Wouldn't have an overlay of that at all.

The humble Type B poocam that everyone loves once again fails to perform. ?

• Like 1

Don't take this as gospel as everything isn't totally apples with apples as there were some differences in the head (intake squish removed on the head that had the GREX and 182S cams) but should give you a rough idea.

I've now got a custom grind 260 that should be as good as the GREX cams or even a bit better *fingers crossed* 

unnamed_zpsggn2c7aj.png

Edited by SimonR32

• 1 month later...
On 2017-5-18 at 10:30 PM, SimonR32 said:

Don't take this as gospel as everything isn't totally apples with apples as there were some differences in the head (intake squish removed on the head that had the GREX and 182S cams) but should give you a rough idea.

I've now got a custom grind 260 that should be as good as the GREX cams or even a bit better *fingers crossed* 

unnamed_zpsggn2c7aj.png

Update, the custom grinds ended up working well (although the GREX were still mighty in hindsight)

Capture.JPG

Nice - cheers for sharing, I'm guessing the newest are the 182Rs? Considering the power they are making they delivery very very well everywhere!

Edit: They really are custom... there is nothing to that spec on the website, what specs are they?

Edited by Lithium

19 hours ago, Lithium said:

Nice - cheers for sharing, I'm guessing the newest are the 182Rs? Considering the power they are making they delivery very very well everywhere!

Edit: They really are custom... there is nothing to that spec on the website, what specs are they?

Yes, 182R are newest (I think they were actually labelled 182X on the box)... They are custom 260 10.3mm ones from Kelford

1 hour ago, SimonR32 said:

Yes, 182R are newest (I think they were actually labelled 182X on the box)... They are custom 260 10.3mm ones from Kelford

What's the duration at 50 thou?