twin scroll big single, done.

Turbo
Manifold
Ext Wastegate
Downpipe
Custom Oil and water lines
Possibly fuel pump upgrade
Injectors

It's a bit more than just "done" heh! and nearly everyone who fits one says yeah they are great but they don't transform it in the low and midrange. It's mildly better in those areas agreed and higher up power is better butnot everyone wants to go that route. I had a gtx3582r sat there when I bought my 32gtr but decided to stay on the twins altho mainly that was nostalgia and keeping the stock layout.
I agree tho it's a serious way to improve all over but it's also £££

21 hours ago, anthonymcgrath said:

Turbo
Manifold
Ext Wastegate
Downpipe
Injectors

It's a bit more than just "done" heh! and nearly everyone who fits one says yeah they are great but they don't transform it in the low and midrange. It's mildly better in those areas agreed and higher up power is better butnot everyone wants to go that route. I had a gtx3582r sat there when I bought my 32gtr but decided to stay on the twins altho mainly that was nostalgia and keeping the stock layout.

I agree its not a cheap exercise. But i can tell you now that's a crock^^^ an EFR changes absolutely EVERYTHING about the car. The throttle response, the extra grunt and torque down low, the transient response... It completely transforms  the car from idle to redline. DOESN'T  make it a top end screamer at all! That's old school "twin turbo propoganda" 

Do not get me wrong if you like the twins for the stock look etc thats fine i get that. I really do.

But honestly if you are modding because you want more grunt and a nicer drive throw the twins in the bin. Its a single for the win. An EFR will blow the weeds out of a ANY sized twins from the basement to redline ?

• Like 1

On 2017-5-28 at 0:03 AM, anthonymcgrath said:

Turbo
Manifold
Ext Wastegate
Downpipe
Injectors

It does transform the low down, mid range, if setup correctly. I've seen potato setups with twin scroll manifold, twin gates all going into an open scroll turbo. Also have seen the other way around too.

It's not really the turbo, I recently changed to an EFR (on a 2.8) and the difference is not as crazy as people are saying.

However, there is notable little differences that come from switching to a better manifold, better housings, simpler setup, etc. The "EFR is god" is only a part of this really. You will get similar results from going TS GTX3582 for example if happy to wind it up.

Is it better than twins? Yeah. Twins honestly are only really good if the circumstance is "They are already on the car"

If you are pushing for power, ever, or even wanting the "Best" setup for the power your twins are currently making, remove the twins and go single.
It's a question of setup and technology. Don't polish the turd. Don't refine a setup for old turbos. Don't get 'the best cams' for -5's. Replace the setup. Use stock cams and a more modern turbo/manifold setup. This is the smart way forward.

You could of course go for a nice new twin manifold for twin new tech turbos but there's nearly no point at all doing that unless you'd rather just burn money for no reason.

Yes you can.  Lift is the answer to both.  Longer duration + dialling them in to boost the midrange more than the top will also help both.

So on a stock head with -5s what would be the max lift and and duration.
As a drop in cam ?

Or better just to build the head ie. O/S valves better springs n port n polish

Better to get more displacement, P&P, better valve springs, etc.. won't magically give you the low->mid range you are hoping for.

What you could do (my honest suggestion) is to get a cam gear, dial in more advance on the intake side and see if you can get your -5 turbos on a little earlier.

1 hour ago, pol1on1 said:

So on a stock head with -5s what would be the max lift and and duration.
As a drop in cam ?

Or better just to build the head ie. O/S valves better springs n port n polish

I don't know what the max is on a stock RB26 head.  Or on any of the heads actually.  This is one to do your own googling on, or ask a workshop who has a history of camming them up.  There are a bunch of different limits imposed by the sides of the lifter bores, the binding point on the valve springs, the piston clearance.....and all of these can be altered by various mods.  Putting in aggressive cams immediately points to putting in better valve springs, which can immediately alleviate the binding problem (for example).  Beyond a certain lobe size you have to machine some clearance out of the top of the lifter bores.  Different valve/piston clearance issues occur depending on overall cam timing.  These are all best dealt with while playing with the engine in pieces or by trawling the already posted knowledge base on here and the rest of the net.  I'm sure the stock limits are equally findable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

It's not really the turbo, I recently changed to an EFR (on a 2.8) and the difference is not as crazy as people are saying.

However, there is notable little differences that come from switching to a better manifold, better housings, simpler setup, etc. The "EFR is god" is only a part of this really. You will get similar results from going TS GTX3582 for example if happy to wind it up.

Is it better than twins? Yeah. Twins honestly are only really good if the circumstance is "They are already on the car"

If you are pushing for power, ever, or even wanting the "Best" setup for the power your twins are currently making, remove the twins and go single.
It's a question of setup and technology. Don't polish the turd. Don't refine a setup for old turbos. Don't get 'the best cams' for -5's. Replace the setup. Use stock cams and a more modern turbo/manifold setup. This is the smart way forward.

You could of course go for a nice new twin manifold for twin new tech turbos but there's nearly no point at all doing that unless you'd rather just burn money for no reason.

How many km's have you done in the car? 

Very surprised by your statement! Obviously the GTX3582 is a good thing too. 

I found the more i drove it the more i noticed the little things the EFR done better. 

On 2017-5-27 at 4:38 AM, Piggaz said:

250 kw at 4000 RPM out of a 2.6 using -5's? You're going to struggle, mate.

Whats the rest of the setup? Head been touched?

* I would STRONGLY suggest not running -5's up around 450 Kw + at the treads. They will not last! 

Are you suggesting they fail with a belly full of boost?  Notice if thats still the case with steel bearing cartridges?

58 minutes ago, Roy said:

Are you suggesting they fail with a belly full of boost?  Notice if thats still the case with steel bearing cartridges?

I don't know anyone with the new guts TBH. Nicks rear failed at Sandown at 24 psi (was on a 3.0). <10,000 kms total work. My rear was also dead with even less kms done. Both older cartridges though.

23 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

And 8.5 years later Paul listens and decides to go a TS single :)

I reckon you should practice what you preach Johnny lol :)

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Mick_o said:

I reckon you should practice what you preach Johnny lol :)

at least I'm half way there LOL... Got the single part right and a divided OEM manifold with both pulses split to a single gate hahaha

Preachers usually don't practice - you know that... look at some of the world's most "well respected" high up there people (trying to be as neutral as possible so no one has a sads and bombs my house).

Anyhow, I'm sure my setup will leave many twin "built" 2.6L guys very sads... whenever it gets completed. Even my old setup left many twin 2.6L boys sad as fk!