SAU Community

detonation issues standard RB25DET

mikel

I've been gazumped for the moment as the family car has broken down and it takes priority for fixing (cash and time) - although it looks like I'll be able to reduce the Ford quote of $2K down to around $500 - $600 doing the work myself, but it's certainly slowed down the Skyline fix.

On 8/28/2017 at 2:23 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Alternatively if you're on a budget and your bores are still good, your crank is still in good shape I just find a used set of NEO pistons/rods/bearings.

I have a set of 6x NEO Pistons/Rods/Bearings from a 120xxx automatic Stagea up for sale if you're interested? This will compliment your NEO head and budget.

If my NEO head and RB25 Block bores haven't been damaged, this is not a bad option - cheers Johnny.

I would nearly have a NEO motor - particularly the pistons I need and the stronger NEO rods

The key thing will be finding a reputable/capable tuner/mechanic/engine builder to do the work and consult with them - I've had some recommendations, but haven't found the time to talk to them as yet.

cheers

Mike

Edited by mikel

Interesting stuff .

With coils are they electrically the same R33 to R34 . Would a set of either work if you had a suitable coil loom . From what you're saying the physical difference is the orientation of the connectors on the coils themselves . As I said previously I think I bought a new Neo coil loom and it plugged straight in . I don't think the tabs under the coil cover were exactly the same but at the time I wanted new wiring for the new Splitfire coils I fitted .

Cheers A .

On 9/2/2017 at 9:31 AM, discopotato03 said:

Interesting stuff .

With coils are they electrically the same R33 to R34 . Would a set of either work if you had a suitable coil loom . From what you're saying the physical difference is the orientation of the connectors on the coils themselves . As I said previously I think I bought a new Neo coil loom and it plugged straight in . I don't think the tabs under the coil cover were exactly the same but at the time I wanted new wiring for the new Splitfire coils I fitted .

Cheers A .

On 9/3/2017 at 9:21 AM, Scott Black said:

The coils can't interchange the way they bolt to the head is different

On my list of things to do is to remove the cover and note the part numbers of the coils - from what Scott says they should be NEO coils - but I don't recall any discussion that new coil packs went on when the NEO head was done - it's possible the NEO head still had coils.

I've got to get the family car back on the road as a priority - the new alternator arrived today, so that goes on this weekend.

cheers

Mike

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2017 at 6:11 PM, mikel said:

I've got to get the family car back on the road as a priority - the new alternator arrived today, so that goes on this weekend.

cheers

Mike

I got the family car back on the road only to discover a leaking radiator - so I put a new one of those in also - hopefully nothing else will go wrong in the next little while so I can get the Skyline back on the road.

I've been discussing with Anthony (Guilt Toy) using his bottom end, and on Saturday I drove down to Newcastle and dropped the car off to get Anthony's bottom end with my head installed.

I've been reading about Anthony's exploits and tuning skills for years - great to meet him finally, and the other guys in Newcastle that will be involved in the work to get my Skyline working properly again.

There's quite a community of "like minded car enthusiasts" that Anthony knows in Newcastle - not too many mechanic workshops I know of would have a bunch of people there on a Saturday afternoon keen to discuss my Skyline issues.

Anthony clearly has a "tuner's ear", as I took him for a drive and he could hear the detonation in my car way before I could. 

Hopefully my head is OK and can go straight onto Anthony's bottom end - we'll see.

If it all works I'll have a NEO motor in my R33 soon.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2017 at 9:21 AM, Scott Black said:

The coils can't interchange the way they bolt to the head is different

the coils are Neo Splitfires.

the injectors were standard R33 sidefeeds

Anthony is just about finished, and he's done a fuel pump and injector upgrade (drop in 555cc sidefeeds) along the way.

The plan is to fly down Saturday morning to pick it up.

The drive home should be lots of fun - likely drive the highway to Grafton then take the Summerland way to Kyogle and stop at a mates overnight to get some twistys home to Brisbane Sunday morning.

cheers

Mike

the car is ready to pick up tomorrow - can't wait!

Anthony also fixed my dodgy tacho!

here's the dyno graph

59f2fc5685326_r33skylinepowercurve.thumb.jpg.2201a97f2754cbd92e195f4b8aaa88f0.jpg

NEO top and bottom, R33 side feed 555 injectors, "unknown" cams (but not standard - they came with the NEO head), Turbotech bleed valve, new Walbro fuel pump, new custom stainless suction pipe after the AFM.

Beautiful power curve - Anthony thinks the actuator on the HKS 2530 turbo is a bit "lazy" and he could bring the power on a bit earlier as the gate is creeping open earlier than it should - but that's a project for another day...

I can't wait to drive it!

cheers

Mike

Edited by mikel

=)

Really nice car mate,  I LOVE sydney kids suspension setup,  the car handles better then my gts4 and is softer at the same time.

The turbo needs a new actuator,  it is flying open early which kinda sucks but you get that with turbo's that are this old.

If anyone needs their car's sorted or you just not happy with how they are running then hit me up,  I am in Newcastle NSW

Pic is not Mike's :)

lachy1.jpg

Hi Anthony - I can't wait to drive it.

I've been very happy with Gary's @Sydneykid suspension setup - so much softer than the Jap coilovers the car came with, and quicker on the track.

2 hours ago, Guilt-Toy said:

The turbo needs a new actuator,  it is flying open early which kinda sucks but you get that with turbo's that are this old.

with that smooth power curve, I think I'll just drive it for a while and see how it feels - but a new actuator and another drive to Newcastle may be on the cards.:1_grinning:

cheers

Mike

omfg - the car is awesome - way better than ever before and quantums above what it was after the NEO head went onto the R33 bottom end.

Anthony picked me up at Newcastle airport and he gave the car several squirts - from the passenger seat it felt amazing.

We put a fresh tank of 98 into it and I took over - the acceleration on boost was ballistic - the tyres are quite new, but budget, and must be awfully close to their limit on a dry road in a straight line when the boost comes on.

It's sooo good having a working tacho again, but I'm still getting used to the boost coming on so hard when I nail it in 1st and 2nd, so hanging on and watching the road is a bit of a priority :D - somewhere between 3000 - 4000rpm the thing just takes off.

i now understand what Anthony meant when he said on the phone last week it's a bit laggy - it's always been that way, and likely made worse by the unknown aftermarket cams that came with the NEO head, but previously the boost built much slower - I thought this was "normal" behaviour for a turbo Skyline, never having driven any other Skyline.

With Anthony's tune he's got the boost on as early as possible with the current lazy waste gate actuator on the HKS 25/30 turbo and Turbotech bleed valve setup.

The drive up the highway from Newcastle to Grafton was the expected boring drive keeping to the speed limit - every other car was staying exactly on the speed limit, so I was too paranoid to do the usual 115 - 119km/h in the 110km/h zones (do you get pinged in NSW for only a few km over the limit?).

I filled up with fuel in Coffs Harbour, and got a respectable 11.5 litres/100km fuel consumption Newcastle to Coffs - not that fuel economy is a focus for me or most that drive Skylines, but pretty good for a car that just had 550 injectors installed - clearly Anthony spent a bunch of time on this aspect of the tune also!

Grafton to Kyogle on the Summerland Way is a fantastic drive, and this is where I couldn't take the grin off my face.

A well maintained road with beautiful sweepers and many straight sections with good visibility for overtaking - knocking it back to 4th to overtake was always sufficient, but doing it in 3rd was waaaay more fun - and clearly the less time you spend on the wrong side of the road is by far the safest :D.

This new machine of mine is an overtaking weapon! - it was good before, but has now reached a new level - it's so in the sweet spot of power and torque between 80 and 110km/h - choose your gear for grin factor. 

I stopped in Kyogle overnight at a mate's place, and just for fun we took the car over the weighbridge at the dump to drop off some recyclables.

• approx 1/2 tank fuel (say 30kg)
  • 2 people, one much fatter (me) than the other (say 190kg total)
  • some tools + recyclables (say 10Kg)

Total weight 1.64 tonne - remove 230kg (2 people + stuff + fuel) = 1.41 tonne or 1410kg - 20kg higher than what I've read quoted for the R33 Skyline of 1390kg (likely "dry") - close enough!

The drive back from Kyogle to Brisbane this morning was great. Kyogle to the top of the range before crossing the border to QLD is the best part - down the hill into QLD I got stuck behind some motorcyles.

It was at the traffic lights through Jimboomba (between Beaudesert and Brisbane) that I got a better handle on the "laggy" thing Anthony had mentioned. The Beaudesert Highway though Jimboomba is single lane each way, but  the traffic lights have a sneaky left lane option that reverts to single lane about 50m-100m or so after the lights.

I took the sneaky left lane to get to the front, but being in "don't attract attention mode", I didn't give it a lot getting off the line and  pop it into 2nd, but there's a commodore in the right hand lane next to me that wants to have a go - we're side by side until somewhere between 3 and 4K rpm in 2nd gear on my now working tacho (thanks Anthony) and I stopped looking at the tacho and focussed on the road as I knew what was coming next.:devil:

Needless to say I chopped the commodore well before the left lane disappeared.

I couldn't be happier with the work done by Anthony!

On this morning's drive to the tip in Kyogle my mate noticed a drip in the passenger foot well - nothing to do with Anthony's work - the heat exchanger in the cabin has developed a leak - all bad - from Kyogle to Brisbane there was a constant drip - nothing serious enough to require topping up the radiator, but on discussing with Anthony when I got home it's not an easy job.

Living in QLD approaching summer I can just blank the hoses off in the engine bay as a quick fix while I work out the proper fix - a minor glitch in overall Skyline happiness!

cheers

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Glad its sorted. I like reading threads where the problem is fixed.

Also, I had to do the heater core in my R33. Two ways you can do it,

1) Degas air con, and pull the glovebox out, take the aircon parts and heater box out,

Or

2) Pull entire dash out, and this will give you space to just remove the heater core without taking any air con parts out.

I chose 2) because my aircon was icy cold, and didn't want to stuff around with degassing/gassing, and I had plenty of time.

6 hours ago, CEF33Y said:

Glad its sorted. I like reading threads where the problem is fixed.

Also, I had to do the heater core in my R33. Two ways you can do it,

1) Degas air con, and pull the glovebox out, take the aircon parts and heater box out,

Or

2) Pull entire dash out, and this will give you space to just remove the heater core without taking any air con parts out.

I chose 2) because my aircon was icy cold, and didn't want to stuff around with degassing/gassing, and I had plenty of time.

Anthony's first words when I spoke with him after getting home were, "oh no"...and, "that's a dash out job"...

But even in the depths of a Brisbane "winter", not having a heater is manageable, and it gives me an excuse to visit Anthony again if I decide to upgrade the turbo actuator!

It's certainly not wiping the grin off my face having the car working better than ever.

21 hours ago, AngryRB said:

Thats a nice sneaky left lane on the fly lol and no shortage of commondores in jimboomba, my neck of the woods ?

Glad its all worked out for you ?

there is one really good thing about Commodores - every 6cyl VL is an RB30 upgrade for a Skyline in the making!

cheers

Mike

1 hour ago, mikel said:

there is one really good thing about Commodores - every 6cyl VL is an RB30 upgrade for a Skyline in the making!

I know, i have one in the r33 already ?

• Like 1