SAU Community

Suspension replacement on r34 after theft ?

Hey I'm Joe, my R34 was stolen and in a police chase lol, the theif destroyed my suspension.

My mechanic is not very good, but I live in an isolated area and I don't have many options. According to him i need to replace my lower control arms, strut rod arm, inner and outer tie rod ends and upper control arms, and possible my wheel knuckle. 

I have a feeling if i replace these parts more problems will be found and getting parts shipped take forever, is it better to replace the entire suspension and where can i get it ? Also what price range am i looking at for the  parts ?

1998 R34 25GT RB25DE NEO 

thanks for your time

If you are talking of replacing the entire suspension you are  presumably talking about second hand parts.

The best solution is to get a known good suspension shop to make the repairs.

Alternatively go with your mechanic's suggestions.

It is very likely that all of those components did suffer damage if the thief drove over gutters and shit.

I concur with the above advice.  If you could ship it to Adelaide, for example, I could point you at a suspension shop that I'd trust to get it straight.  The owner would hate you and me both, because he hates Skylines.....but he'd survive, and so would you car.  Probably.

Thanks for the help there's a website I think it's called jp auto parts it's looks like they sell oem parts a front suspension would cost me around 700 USD. I live in Aruba so shipping to Adelaide would be very expensive. I don't know if there's any suspension shops here, I know a couple other mechanics who are decent but neither specialize in suspension.

Just wondering if these parts are broken are there any other parts that usually break with them, if I could just buy the exact parts it would be a lot cheaper, but I have a feeling it'll take a lot longer if I don't get all the parts I need at once.

Thanks again gentlemen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joe34 said:

Just wondering if these parts are broken are there any other parts that usually break with them, if I could just buy the exact parts it would be a lot cheaper, but I have a feeling it'll take a lot longer if I don't get all the parts I need at once.

Oh, yeah, there's every chance that some severe damage could have been done.  If a car gets beaten around so bad that the front lower arms get bent, then you could easily have the front subframe bent or even moved on the mounting bolts from the rails.  This is bad because it's hard to see and fix and makes it almost impossible to get a good alignment and have the car drive properly.  The rear subframe can also take a beating the same way.

Hello Joe34, 

Wow Aruba, Adelaide definitely off the cards then. Sounds like there may not be an abundant source of spares.

Have you thought about shipping in a unregistered Skyline to strip for parts? Generally they are cheaper due to not being roadworthy, abandoned, built for competition etc. May be more useful in the long run. 

Aruba, what a beautiful country. Send some pics when you fix up the ride. Best of luck, friend.

hey guys, thanks for all the responses really helpful. I ended up finding a mechanic who builds skylines as a hobby so he always has a bunch of parts laying around, so he checked it out for me, i replaced my tie rods and the ends, and one of the upper control arms, he also helped me out with some body work and he did it all for like 300 dollars. he told me that my other control arms were still good and that the other mechanic that looked at them was trying to hustle me lol. I'm putting in a cold air intake soon, and hopefully a turbo depending on whether i decide to  ship my car back to canada when im done studying on the island. ERO54N, i'm getting a paint job on the car soon, when i do ill definately take some pictures and post them here. 

once again thanks alot everyone

Edited by Joe34