SAU Community

Garrett G Series

LaurelPWR

What does everyone think about PSR vs Garrett? I've got a genuine G30-770 but would probably get away with a G35-900 because I've got a sequential.

Are the real ones worth more than double the price?

15 hours ago, Komdotkom said:

What does everyone think about PSR vs Garrett? I've got a genuine G30-770 but would probably get away with a G35-900 because I've got a sequential.

Mate i've used PSR turbos for years now and have never had an issue with them, the wheels measure the same as the real thing and i've seen them make the exact same power on the dyno pretty much back to back. Its upto you whether you'd want to spend the extra cash.

15 hours ago, Komdotkom said:

My opinion is they aren't worth double at all.  Have used a good number of Pulsars with builds I've been involved with and tbh at least speaking for myself, Garrett aren't losing money they'd be getting if Pulsar didn't exist as for genuine Garrett money I'd probably be buying something other than Garrett.   

We've used Pulsar 6262G (G35 900 equivalent) on an RB26 with a twin scroll hotside and it picked up 40wkw at the same boost over the old twin -5s and the improvement in transient response over the twins changed the car - this is before you factor in the amount of further headroom of the G35.  Have also used one on a 2JZ drag car which has run 9.6 @ 141mph not even trying, from what we've seen so far it'll potentially go 8s when we turn it up 

Crazy results for what is basically a NZ$1500ish turbo.  

Thanks gents, I think I'll get a PSR and see how it goes. I saw an interesting video in YT where a guy stripped one and the bearings were similar to the GTX series instead of the newer G series, but for 40% of the Garrett price I suppose there has to be some sort of trade off!

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Still trying to decide on a turbo/manifold for my built RB25. I'm leaning towards a G30-770 1.06 T4 twin scroll but I'm confused about reverse rotation/standard rotation. Is it possible to run either on an RB? I was keen on an Artec manifold but as they only make V-band for the G-series, what other options do people recommend?

2 hours ago, BiZbAiRd said:

Hi all,

Still trying to decide on a turbo/manifold for my built RB25. I'm leaning towards a G30-770 1.06 T4 twin scroll but I'm confused about reverse rotation/standard rotation. Is it possible to run either on an RB? I was keen on an Artec manifold but as they only make V-band for the G-series, what other options do people recommend?

T4 twin scroll G30-770 is about perfect for around 600whp rb25/6. In my experiences twin scroll set up spools at least 500rpm quicker and has quicker transient response than single scroll set up. Use Sinco or 6 boost t4 divided/twin scroll single wastegated manifold, as they have proper divided wastegate pipe for full benefit of divided/twin scroll set up while only using single wastegate thus cheaper than most other t4 divided manifold which uses 2 wastegates.

For an rb, reverse rotation turbos allows shorter exhaust pipe to turbo which should make quicker spool/response, but there are fewer available reverse rotation turbo options. Artec made reverse rotation manifold as quick response based on shorter exhaust pipe to turbo and G35s as biggest turbo size to fit. Afaik, no comparison test were done between Artec reverse rotation quick response set up vs proper 6boost/Sinco twin scroll set up which use longer exhaust pipe to fit standard rotation turbos, so no proof if Artec reverse rotation set up spools quicker than proper twin scroll standard rotation set up.

For bigger turbos, G40 and up, Artec made only standard rotation manifold with longer exhaust pipe to turbo needed to fit standard rotation turbos on rb. Most other exhaust manifolds are only for standard rotation turbos which has much more turbo options, either small or big. 

Did a boost leak test today, turbo is a Garrett G30-660. I suspect I have some pinhole leaks in my welded hard pipes but didn't even get that far as the system wouldn't even hold more than 5 psi, with a huge air leak audible from the rear of the compressor housing. Turbo wouldn't have done more than 5000 k's. Hoping it's just the 6 housing bolts needing tightening but wouldn't mind getting a new o-ring compressor housing seal to have handy when I pull the turbo off, but can't find any listings outside of the USA. I'm assuming any turbo repair shop could get me one but anyone know any online sellers in Aus that have these?

On 9/13/2024 at 1:15 PM, CefiroA31 said:

T4 twin scroll G30-770 is about perfect for around 600whp rb25/6. In my experiences twin scroll set up spools at least 500rpm quicker and has quicker transient response than single scroll set up. Use Sinco or 6 boost t4 divided/twin scroll single wastegated manifold, as they have proper divided wastegate pipe for full benefit of divided/twin scroll set up while only using single wastegate thus cheaper than most other t4 divided manifold which uses 2 wastegates.

For an rb, reverse rotation turbos allows shorter exhaust pipe to turbo which should make quicker spool/response, but there are fewer available reverse rotation turbo options. Artec made reverse rotation manifold as quick response based on shorter exhaust pipe to turbo and G35s as biggest turbo size to fit. Afaik, no comparison test were done between Artec reverse rotation quick response set up vs proper 6boost/Sinco twin scroll set up which use longer exhaust pipe to fit standard rotation turbos, so no proof if Artec reverse rotation set up spools quicker than proper twin scroll standard rotation set up.

For bigger turbos, G40 and up, Artec made only standard rotation manifold with longer exhaust pipe to turbo needed to fit standard rotation turbos on rb. Most other exhaust manifolds are only for standard rotation turbos which has much more turbo options, either small or big. 

1.06 A/R is the only option for G series T4 twin scroll, is it to big??? 

13 hours ago, hardsteppa said:

Did a boost leak test today, turbo is a Garrett G30-660. I suspect I have some pinhole leaks in my welded hard pipes but didn't even get that far as the system wouldn't even hold more than 5 psi, with a huge air leak audible from the rear of the compressor housing. Turbo wouldn't have done more than 5000 k's. Hoping it's just the 6 housing bolts needing tightening but wouldn't mind getting a new o-ring compressor housing seal to have handy when I pull the turbo off, but can't find any listings outside of the USA. I'm assuming any turbo repair shop could get me one but anyone know any online sellers in Aus that have these?

There are industrial o-ring suppliers all over that would probably have what you need, so long as you know the dimensions and material.

On 9/15/2024 at 2:29 PM, BiZbAiRd said:

1.06 A/R is the only option for G series T4 twin scroll, is it to big??? 

Depends on your hp target/if you want to max your turbo, in my experience a twin scroll housing will spool like a much smaller single scroll housing, with little to no loss of peak hp. If you want quickest spool, Pulsar sells 0.85 t4 ts housing for g30 and g35 at less than half price of Garrett's housing.