SAU Community

R32 GTR radiator for 333kw + track use

I have an 8yo Cooling Pro 40mm triple core from Justjap, which has been recently cleaned by Natrad, but the car quickly overheated on a 23 degree track day. I was going to get a Racepace triple core, but they have stopped doing them as they cant find a decent core supplier.

What can i upgrade to that will do the job?

I was going to get a Racepace triple core, but they have stopped doing them as they cant find a decent core supplier.
What can i upgrade to that will do the job?

I am in the same boat. Keen to hear what you go with.

PWR radiators are fantastic, I tracked my 370kW+ GTS-t piece of shit on a 40 degree day in 2016 and water temps never exceeded 110 degrees with only a baby 19 row Mocal oil cooler.

In the past, I ran an ASI yumcha radiator and water temps would peak 120 very easily on a 30 degree day.

Only real world data I have, now I've upgraded to a 25 row Setrab oil cooler with the same radiator - shit box has yet to see the track but I can imagine lower water temps and lower oil temps as I've deleted the water/oil heat exchanger.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dobz said:

I would have thought cleaning would have only a positive effect on a radiators operation.
What checks have been done for other causes?

Yep, the cleaning helped, and the Natrad guy said it came up good after it was done. He also said the Cooling Pro was actually decent, unlike most of the yum cha chinese stuff he sees.

Temps are fine for non-track usage. Water pump has maybe 20,000kms on it, thermostat has been replaced, fan clutch has strong resistance to being stopped, coolant replaced, properly bled.

7 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

PWR radiators are fantastic, I tracked my 370kW+ GTS-t piece of shit on a 40 degree day in 2016 and water temps never exceeded 110 degrees with only a baby 19 row Mocal oil cooler.

In the past, I ran an ASI yumcha radiator and water temps would peak 120 very easily on a 30 degree day.

Only real world data I have, now I've upgraded to a 25 row Setrab oil cooler with the same radiator - shit box has yet to see the track but I can imagine lower water temps and lower oil temps as I've deleted the water/oil heat exchanger.

Johnny how thick is your PWR? 42mm? 55mm?

Two options listed for R32

Part No: PWR0546 – Skyline 32GTR and GtST 55m (needs thermo) 55mm ([email protected])

PWR0546-Skyline-32GTR-and-GtST-55m-needs

Part No: PWR0943 – Skyline 32GTR and GTST 42mm ([email protected])

PWR0943-Skyline-32GTR-and-GTST-42mm.jpg

8 hours ago, TXSquirrel said:

Is Koyo not a popular option there?  Their 48mm is well priced and pretty much the go to radiator if keeping factory fan and fan shroud.

https://frsport.com/koyorad-hh020214-48mm-aluminum-racing-radiator-89-93-skyline-gt-r-r32-rb26dett

That's another option, however looking at all WTAC and circuit cars - do you see many with Koyo? That's why I ended up with a PWR lol... poor analysis.

10 hours ago, MrStabby said:

Johnny how thick is your PWR? 42mm? 55mm?

I run the 42mm because I wanted to keep my OEM fan and shroud, the 55mm requires OEM shroud and fan delete.

• Like 1

Ok cool. I can see the 55 would be a massive PITA. FWIW, I measured up the NM35 fan+clutch when i had it out and it looks like it would bolt on and be 15mm shorter, but the back of fan may then touch balancer pulley, and there's so much other stuff that would still be a problem.

Will email PWR to see if they'll offer an opinion on whether it should be ok, but will almost certainly go with the 42mm PWR.

Thanks!

Hey  @MrStabby,

Last year you started this thread. Are you not considering any of these options?

On 1/2/2017 at 12:18 PM, MrStabby said:

Need more radiator

I currently have a Cooling Pro Triple Core 40mm from Just Jap, but I need more cooling at the track.

With respect to design, here's my current set of assumptions;
- Number of rows does not make a huge difference
- Number of passes probably makes more difference than number of rows
- Thicker core should be better
So I should probably get something with ~50mm core and two or more passes

Options;

Blitz Racing ZS 42mm, just jap, $600 or rhdjapan $399+delivery
KOYO Copper Radiator Type-S, "Num. of Layers: 2" $436+delivery
TRUST GREDDY TW-R 50mm, "2-Row" rhdjapan, $436+delivery
HPI Radiator Evolve STD Series, 50mm, "Wide Tube 2 Core" rhdjapan $492+delivery
KOYO Type F Aluminum, 48mm, "Num. of Layers: 2" $802+delivery
HPI Multi Flow Evolve, 40mm, "Multi Pitch Core (Triple Turn)" $871+delivery

Does "layers" mean cores or passes? Any recommendations from this list or elsewhere?

I thought the HPI multi flow option looked decent but expensive.

Cheers

Rob

2 minutes ago, Robzilla32 said:

Hey  @MrStabby,

Last year you started this thread. Are you not considering any of these options?

I thought the HPI multi flow option looked decent but expensive.

Cheers

Rob

Jesus, completely forgot about that post....senility is hitting hard.  IIRC that was before i got the CoolingPro cleaned. Anyways, pretty sure i'll go the PWR now.

14 minutes ago, MrStabby said:

PWR reckoned the 42 will work, so its been ordered.

make sure you get a new radiator cap, the Nismo caps will leak..

I recall I needed a Tridon CB16110 or so, can't recall.. just double check yourself. I know PWR recommend Stanton caps

1 minute ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I recall I needed a Tridon CB16110 or so, can't recall.. just double check yourself. I know PWR recommend Stanton caps

Have a 42mm PWR radiator. It never overheats and I am in WA where is can get hot on a track day and I run 98 not E85.  Down side is it leaks and I can never find the leak. Be the Nismo fkn cap then eh. Random post will help enormously: :) 

7 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Ok thanks for the info. I happen to have a spare Tridon CB16110 here, so i'll use that instead of the Nismo that's on the CoolingPro. The Nismo is 18psi, whereas the Tridon is 16 psi (110kpa) as you probably know.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that PWR said i should use a 16PSI cap.